1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there an equivalent of Microsoft Access for Mac?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlamoCity, Jun 15, 2016.

1. AlamoCity

I don't want to run Windows parallel to Mac OS (I use an iMac) and I need to build a database for work. I only have Macs at my disposal at this time and really wish I could use Microsoft Access (I can't find a version of Microsoft Access that runs on Macs). Do y'all know of any alternative software that would cost about the same as Office but work for Mac?

The purpose is to keep track of employees information, logging what supplies they've been loaned out, etc. I COULD use Excel but I love Access for this.

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I know the most similar products would be those of FileMaker, Inc., namely FileMaker Pro which is currently at version 15, but we're talking $329.

The alternative would be using a free DBMS such as MySQL and then coding an application to interface with it, either native or web-based. That's a harder approach, though. While MySQL includes a GUI it is clearly not intended to be used as the primary interface to your databases.

3. AlamoCity

Thanks for your response. I figured FileMaker was going to be the closest thing. I guess I will simply make Excel work for me for the time being.