1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC or Mac?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by peterw78165, Jul 3, 2016.

1. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty self-explanatory. Do you use a PC or a Mac? Name specific models if you want. I'll start:

I use both on a regular basis. I own an HP Pavilion Windows 10 PC (for day-to-day use), a custom-built Pentium 150 running Windows 95 (for DOS games/early Windows games), a Toshiba Pentium III laptop running Windows XP (for Windows games from about 1999-2005), and a Macintosh PowerBook G3 running Mac OS 9 (for classic Mac games).

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I run a CyberPowerPC Fanbook III. I'm an Arch girl, so it's kernel version 4.6.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Darwin 192.168.1.43 15.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.5.0: Tue Apr 19 18:36:36 PDT 2016; root:xnu-3248.50.21~8/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

That would be OS X El Capitan, running on a heavily upgraded late-2011 13" MacBook Pro which I love more than some relatives.

I'm never going back to PCs. Windows is a mess. I acknowledge that it's more usable for my workflow (graphic design and prepress) than it used to be back in the XP days, but Mac is just the better option. Honestly, I'd rather use an obsolete Mac than a current PC.

4. CoderK

I built my PC, so I'll just list my CPU and GPU because they are the most important part. My CPU is an AMD FX-6300 and my GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970.

I prefer PC for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, I really do not like Apple as a company, some of the reasons being that they don't design their products in terms of longevity. Can't replace any parts if they break on a mac. Secondly, PCs are usually faster because you can customize them to suit your needs.

But to each their own. Anyone can like whatever system they want to like. While I will personally never buy a Mac, people will and I won't try to change that.

:grin:

#4 CoderK, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. juanma

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Both! I built a PC that runs both Mac OS X 10.11 and Windows 10 :grin: It's actually not hard to do if you choose the right hardware... Mine has a Z97 Gigabyte motherboard, an i5-4690k, 16gb RAM and a Samsung 512gb SSD... No need for graphics card because I don't really play, just college stuff and maybe some Photoshop/InDesign...
    I loved your vintage setups for playing old games! Some of those gamer are the best... Which do you play? I keep a copy of DosBox to run some old stuff, but it's just not the same haha

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use both.

I much prefer MacOS for aesthetic reasons; it simply "looks better" as an OS, it is much more cohesive, and if you already own iOS devices, like an iPhone or iPad, there is really is no better OS to have to communicate with those devices.

That said, I still require a PC for gaming, for ripping CDs, and running various programs whose Windows versions are more comprehensive (or who lack a Mac version altogether).

There are plusses and minuses to both. With a PC, you can build your own and select your own premium parts. With a Mac, you're stuck with Apple hardware (for the most part), but Apple does make some of the best laptops out there (in the trackpad and display department particularly).

I will probably always be someone who uses both.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use a PC. ^^

No specific reason; that's just what my dad built me.

8. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lately, I'm just bi-platformal. I used to be pan-platformal (Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux/Solaris/BSD/whatever), but I'm down to just two these days - not counting the embedded OSes in the routers, NASes, and other appliances that I use.

9. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buying a Mac in Argentina would be next to impossible.

I'll gladly exchange one for its Uruguayan price in wine. Hahaha.

10. thepandaboss

MacBook Air. It's the cohesion with my phone I like and much nicer OS layout.

11. juanma

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Macs are really expensive here in Argentina, that's truth, and no official Apple Stores are available either so they are kind of rare items. Not completely impossible to buy if you know where to search, but really expensive. I mean, if a Mac is like, let's say USD1800 in the USA, here in Argentina it would be aprox. USD2400 if you buy it from "non-official" sellers... If you have it shipped, or you buy it in an Apple Reseller, it would be like USD3000+ (And that's almost 6 times the minimum salary here)

The wine for Mac offer sounds actually really appealing haha

12. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. The longest I've been away from mi Buenos Aires querido in the last 5 years was only a few months. Until my job situation worsened I used to be there at least once a month.

13. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PC. I do everything on a PC for work. I had to do ONE project on a Mac and I wanted to smash my face. I'm not willing to convert everything and relearn a whole new system.

14. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I personally prefer the Mac's user experience, but some people work differently than I do.

Clarification: I prefer the UI of the Classic Mac OS. As in, Mac OS 9 and earlier. OS X can go fuck itself.

#14 peterw78165, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Professional Computer Maximus Superbia.

16. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that a reference to something?

#16 peterw78165, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  17. Alfhild

I have a PC (HP Pavilion) but I prefer Macs. I've only used them a few times but I liked what I saw.

#17 Alfhild, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  18. CoderK

Actually, I gotta change my vote. I only use 83 Raspberry Pies duct taped together. Best computer, 10/10.

:lol:

19. mmmelody

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Last summer I bought an Asus 13-inch 2-in-1 laptop/tablet with an Intel Core i5. It's a year old now but I'm still in love.

I've always been a PC girl because I'm just not used to the Mac interface (which is a result of me being a PC girl in the first place), but also because PCs are SO FREAKING CHEAP compared to Macs. Like, I don't think I could ever afford a Mac unless I got the crappiest model, refurbished. Idk. The one thing I wish I had was Garageband - it's hard to use on an iPhone and I haven't found any PC alternatives, but I want to make music :frowning2:

20. Klutz

I don't like Apple as a company (donations to charity, reporting supply chain to conflict mineral watchdogs, etc). I also do things that are just better for a PC, because PCs were designed for running them and vice versa. I play games and when I was in college, I had all the engineering programs on my computer.

I've got an Alienware 17 with a a GeForce GTX 765M and an Intel i7 4700MQ processor. I don't have a BlueRay player, because I stream everything. I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU, but they stopped making batteries for the model I have, so I will probably just upgrade the entire thing.