1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolve to go Free-2-play today.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Lazuri

So the devs of Evolve made the decision to make it F2P. This is because the niche audience and and the (somewhat unwarranted) DLC shitstorm has driven its community to near non existence.

On the one hand, I don't like F2P games because they tend to attract players I dislike; but on the other hand I'm glad because I always felt that Evolve was super underrated and never really got anywhere because it was too complicated and clever for the run n' gun crowd.

2. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. I enjoyed Evolve and I don't think it was really given a chance. It's such a fun game and I still love to play it, I hope this expands the player base and gives incentive for Turtle Rock to keep releasing content for it.

3. Lazuri

I just love the mind games involved when it's played right. One of my favorite moments ever in a MP game was when I broke a fairly long chase as a monster by literally just crouching in a bush. The hunters spent the next three minutes searching around that bush, sometimes standing literally right next to me until they finally gave up and left. Their fucking reactions in chat in the post game lobby when it showed everybody's movements were priceless, especially since I typed "HAHA! I NEVER LEFT AT ALL!"

4. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Evolve was missing alot of key elements on release, and ultimately was plagued by bugs, as well as a shitty AI. I haven't checked if those problems where patched, but conclusively I'd be worried if they are even capable enough to handle the shit storm that comes with f2p games.

5. Lazuri

Shitty AI? The game was never meant to really use the AI, so it's kind of a moot argument. Didn't really notice any bugs either, except in the alpha and beta.

All I remember were people complaining that matches were 20 minutes running after the monster and then two minutes fighting before a loss, which was absolutely true if you were an idiot and ran straight after the monster instead of trying to anticipate his path and actually play the fucking game.

I also remember the DLC shitstorm that came with the game's release, criticizing the amount of day one DLC, totally disregarding that it was all cosmetics and that the profits from that DLC allowed them to release maps for free so that it wouldn't split up the player base. I can agree that releasing a second season pass was a bit cheeky, but even with the season passes, you still get free content even if you don't purchase them since a new monster is basically a new boss to face. People are so fucking narrow minded when it comes to DLC.

6. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Lazuri

8. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I remember joe is far more honest about a game then IGN, that 9/10 was not deserved..unless you think COD has memorable players and a lengthy single player campaign.

9. Lazuri

I don't put very much credit on any reviewers. IGN's reviews are either bought, written by poor reviewers or written by somebody who has no business playing that game, like when Alice: Madness Returns got a terrible review because it was assigned to their CoD guy, for some reason, and he complained there was too much jumping--it's a fucking platformer. However, Joe isn't really credible either because he's an entertainer first and foremost and if there's a shitstorm about a game, he will jump on it because it gets views, just like every other reviewer on youtube.

It's foolish to put too much trust on any one reviewer and it's better to just educate yourself on the game in question if you have your doubts and if possible play it yourself. Form your own opinions instead of listening to some raving moron or some dude who proves why ignorance cannot be spelled without "IGN", because in the end, your own opinion is the only one you can trust.

10. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh, in my opinion it's never a bad thing until the "Wallet Warriors" become 70% of the population... then things go downhill really fast. Like trying to walk forward requires both the Right Leg DLC and the Left Leg DLC plus a Walking Subscription.

Some of us play free games because we're broke and can't play other games anyway.

11. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you watch his live stream, that entertainment aspect turns really quick into honesty. He doesn't just hey it's bugged he will show you the damn bugs in game; as he plays the entire game and showcases every single detail. Whether or not thats entertaining is up to us, but his youtube is just a after fact. He is the best reviewer on youtube atm, and he plays alot of games people had no idea existed. Also, alice and wonderland was a pretty bad game; it's only saving grace was the iconic characters. Other than that it was a clear cut movie shipped game, although there should not be a COD guy; there should be an FPS guy.

12. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really enjoyed Evolve, the developers seemed really dedicated to their community - despite some bugs and issues with their publisher(s).

I've always thought Evolve would really suit the free-to-play model and wish them all the best!

13. Lazuri

Saying he's the best reviewer on youtube honestly doesn't say much. Reviewers today in general are just not trustworthy; their reviews are either bought, written by unprofessional people or--as is Joe's case--an entertainer. I love Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation, but I don't put any validity in his reviews either.

Joe might showcase bugs in his streams, but they're largely the kind of bugs that if you played yourself, you'd just go "heh, that's a bit of a silly bug" and it only seems like a big deal because Joe makes such a fucking big deal out of it. Unless a game is riddled with bugs that constantly interrupt game flow, it's no big deal, and after having played tens of hours of Evolve, I won't deny that there's been bugs that have interrupted game flow, but they're not in any way frequent.

Go ahead and watch him as an entertainer if you find him entertaining, but you really are better off forming your own opinions, not just when it comes to games, but when it comes to pretty much everything in life.

Also, you're mixing up your games--I'm not talking about the movie tie-in game, I'm talking about Alice: Madness Returns, which has nothing to do with any of the movies made on Alice in Wonderland, but is a sequel to American McGee's Alice.

#13 Lazuri, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  14. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    never thought anything to this game, ive played it twice before in two free weekends, its just a case of:

monster is released, hunters are then released a little while later, catch up with monster in two seconds, find him with ease, blow his head off while he helplessly flaps around with his useless and absurdly easy to dodge attacks. he is trapped in a dome, unable to escape to feed to get health and upgrade, its tethered to the ground, breaks the tethers only to be re-tethered a second later, utterly helpless, the monster dies.

or

monster is somehow able to get lost, get to stage 3, and is now fighting the hunters, the hunters are SO over powered the monster can't touch any of them, and hit him really hard, he is losing health fast but useless to do anything about it, can't escape as the hunters have a dome up which means he has to fight or just die sitting there.

also, the story makes no sense "lets defend our home from these monsters" first of all pal, this isn't your home, you've just stolen it from its rightful owners, the things you've deemed as "monsters", these "monsters" attack and slaughter humans because thats what they are naturally meant to do and you are the invaders, not them.

in this game, the "monsters" are the protagonists, and the humans are the villains....and that just infuriates me, because the game goes on and on about how awesome and good the humans are and i deeply care about animals so i can't see past this injustice and so care all too much

15. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember watching my brother play this and it looked so-so. unique enough, I guess. how has the transition been?
    honestly, I can't say I'm that fond of Joe. I utterly despise mainstream review sites, but Joe is way too much of a fence sitter for my pallete, his skits are what I'd call lukewarm at best, and his analysis is way too much "common man". the last of those would be fine by me, if the common man in gaming wasn't a blind-eye turning simpleton that has no interest in details. the common man continues to let DLC and review embargoes be an issue, by what merit would I value such a perspective?

16. Lazuri

Actually, that's not quite the story. The story isn't laid out perfectly for the player, but you have to sort of piece it together from dialogue and some other, not at all obvious hints. It's implied that humans have been there for a while and these monsters just showed up one day and started ravaging everything and that the humans think some other faction has placed them on the planet to chase the humans away. The monsters don't just eat humans, they are ravenous and eat everything at such a pace that the planet's eco-system is getting absolutely out of whack because of them.

Basically, if the most popular theory is right, these monsters are genetically modified to be clever, ravenous and evolve really quickly in able to chase humans off the planet with no concern about the planet's eco-system; after the humans leave, the monsters would keep evolving and keep eating until the whole planet is a wasteland. The second most popular theory is that the monsters are the planet's defense system and appears when the planet is threatened and vanish when the threat is gone. In both theories, the monsters are not a natural presence on the planet, for the most part.

The transition has been good, if you ask me.

They're using the MOBA structure where you get one free hunter and one free monster after playing both tutorials and you can unlock more characters and skins with currency you get from playing matches and completing daily objectives. There is also a free rotation of four hunters and one monster every week.

My biggest issue is that currency is also used to unlock perks, which increase your performance, sort of like runes in LoL, but since these are bought with the currency, it's in danger of becoming a bit pay-2-win. However, the F2P version is still in beta and a lot of things are up in the air.

Which brings me to my next point; the entire game has been rebalanced, which is another reason as to why it's currently in beta. The mobile arena is now a shared ability between all hunters as the hunter team's success was simply too dependant on the Trapper doing his job; a shitty trapper basically lost the game every time for the hunters. They replaced the trapper arena ability with a planet scan, which points in the general direction of the monster. This ability is because a lot of players complained about the fact that a lot of matches ended up just running after the monster, never catching up and then dying to a stage 3 monster. Basically, they dumbed the game down for the run n' gun morons and the game is now less of a hide and seek game and more like a game of tag, something I'm a bit disappointed in as a lot of stealthy tactics as the monster is worthless now--if you don't keep moving, you're dead. The matches do contain a lot more action now, though, with more encounters.

17. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh yeah, I remember that from when I was reading the patch notes.

18. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...None of that is the case at all.

For starters, a stage 3 monster is absurdly powerful and can easily no-celly the best of teams. Even domed they can destroy. That's why Arena mode is against a stage 2 because stage 3 is completely tipped in favour of the monster.

Also, the monsters aren't native to Shear. They're ravaging the planet, destroying its denizens. It's a popular and sound theory that the monsters aren't even from the same universe. The hunters are defending the colonists so they can evacuate Shear safely.