1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Glowing Eyes, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Glowing Eyes

Ok so I don't play Pokemon but even I've noticed everybody talking about Pokemon Go. There's already three threads about it on this forum (not including this one), and yesterday it was all over the http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/215758-what-you-thinking.html thread. I also saw people all over Twitter. What exactly is this game and why has it become such a big deal so quickly?

2. Lazuri

It's an AR (Augmented Reality) game in which Pokémon appear in the player's surrounding, marked on a map and the player has to physically move to that location to encounter the Pokémon. Once you encounter it, the game will use your camera and then insert the pokémon so that it looks like it right in front of you and then you throw pokéballs at it to catch it.

I guess people are just appealed by the idea of physically moving through the world to catch and collect pokémon.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's become a big deal so quickly because older teens/people in their 20s grew up with Pokemon. Either through trading cards, TV show, games, it was everywhere when I was young amoung stuff like YuGiOh. It blew up because of the nostalgia I guess, like everyone going crazy for crash bandicoot coming out on PS4 or them making Finding Dory/The Incredibles 2.

4. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember when YuGiOh was the new hot shit. I never liked it, though.

5. Glowing Eyes

Yeah those were very different times. Feels really weird now doesn't it? I also remember Bakugan being super popular and everybody wanting them.

6. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh my God. Bakugan. Was. The. SHIT.

I used to be really into Bakugan. Like REALLY into Bakugan. I was the only girl in the third grade who knew how to play, and I was DAMN good at it. I showed those boys who was boss. :eusa_danc

Never got into YuGiOh though. And my little brother's more into Pokemon than I ever was-- he watches the show and has all the games. And I do mean all of them-- like even the old GameBoy ones. Thank God he doesn't have a smartphone-- I'm sure he'd be all over Pokemon Go, and the last thing I need is him roaming the streets at midnight to find special nighttime Pokemon or whatever like I've seen some of the neighborhood kids doing. :lol:

#6 britishatheart, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  7. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2003 called; it wants its trading cards back.

8. Glowing Eyes

It was that long ago. I still remember people collecting them back in 2007. I also remember everybody (including myself) being obsessed with Legos back then.

9. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh, Legos! I loved the Lego computer games too. (Lego Island is my favorite.)

10. Glowing Eyes

What's Lego Island. I remember borrowing Lego Star Wars (based on movies 4 through 6) from a friend once. Getting the complete saga was one of the first things I did once my family moved to America (when we were still in a hotel and looking for a house to buy).

11. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    whenever you find yourself wondering what a game is, look up gameplay on youtube.

12. Glowing Eyes

I was mostly asking why everybody's talking about it all of the sudden. Like, I've noticed other games taking the internet and social media by storm (like Undertale) but it never felt quite like Pokemon Go which just 3 days ago, I never even heard of and now I see it everywhere.

13. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    somewhat new gaming tech+VR is finally coming+one of the world's most easily hyped franchise. it's been anticipated for a while, this is just the emergence producing fruit.

Pretty simple formula.

14. Synesthesia

It's pretty much most people my age's (25~) childhood dream lol in a way.

15. Sydney9teen88

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ^-----yes

I've been playing Pokemon since 99 and I never stopped. Most of my friends never did either. We've grown up with the game and to be able to experience it, somewhat realistically(ish) like this is incredible. It's boosting business and attendance for a lot of attractions that normally don't get a lot of headlines. Local parks, gardens, and zoo's are happily welcoming and encouraging visitors to not only come find Pokemon and Pokestops, but come explore and enjoy new places they might not have thought to come to otherwise.

There are....those idiots....that are ruining it for the rest of us. I promise not all of us cause twenty car pile ups on the highway to catch a Pikachu, I promise not all of us setup traps to rob people, and I promise not all of us become so engulfed in the gameplay we lose touch with whats going on around us. It's just fun to do out on walks or when I'm in a parking lot at a new place I haven't been, "oh cool, let me catch this Drowzee real quick" kind of thing.

16. ScarletWitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nope. My cousin collected them when he was like eight or nine so that was in 2011/2012

17. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was wayyyy into pokemon in 1999/2000. I watched the show all the time but I had to share my cards with a friend though, as we bought them together so we could collect them. Then she traded the shiny Venusaur for utter rubbish. I got really mad after that...I really want to get Pokemon Go....

18. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh...the turn of the millennium.

Such a simpler time.