1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech Question: Punctuation in e-mail addresses

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LaurenSkye, Jul 29, 2016.

1. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I use my first and last names as my e-mail address in the form of [email protected], and have recently been getting e-mails for someone else. The e-mails are not personal, mostly group e-mails about kids sports team games and practices. The person who these e-mails are meant for has the same name as me, but the address says [email protected]. Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen and is the person who these e-mails meant for receiving them also?

(I fell like I should mention that those are not the real e-mail addresses, just explaining my situation)

#1 LaurenSkye, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. They're completely different email addresses. Personally I like having the dot between the names, since my names are all I, A and S it can get confusing. If you're receiving this person's emails then maybe forward it to them and tell them to contact the sender about the error.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2016 at 11:31 PM ----------

Oh wait, just reread, you're getting emails from an address with a full stop in the middle? That definitely shouldn't happen. Are you sure your proper e-mail isn't in there somewhere?

#2 Aberrance, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If it's gmail, apparently it's how Google thinks it should work...:bang::bang:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/gmail/1mxzb57ahzg

You might get messages sent to an address that looks like yours, but has a different number or order of periods.

If you have a personal account (typically ending in gmail.com), it doesn't matter if people type the period in your username or not.

For example, emails to all of these addresses will be delivered to the same Gmail account:

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An.... intentional bug? Huh.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally, I kind of like it.

OP, talk to your company's tech support, or kidnapp an onsite if you can. There could be legal consequences for you if you intentionally read somebody else's email, even if they don't contain sensitive information. The right thing to do is to erase the mails and report the situation ASAP. If you like your job, don't risk it...

#5 Michael, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016