1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new toy - Crazy little thing called Beryl

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Miaplacidus, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, for those computer savvy, Beryl is a compositing window manager for UNIX-like systems which also generates 3D and/or animation effects in order to improve your desktop experience.

For those not computer-savvy, Beryl makes your computer look good - incredibly good. But, like all really good things, it won't work on Windows :lol:

So, Miaplacidus is proud to present his new toy - ladies and gentlemen, Beryl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

PCLinuxOS includes Beryl in the standard distro, though it is disabled by default. It's good fun and great for showing off what Linux to Windows users, but for practical use I would turn it off again.

3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it doesn't have a performance impact on my computer, and the Expose-like function (actually better than Expose) is very useful. So are the previews and the enhanced multiple desktop experience.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I wasn't thinking of performance reasons for turning it off for normal use. I just tend to like things clean and simple on my PCs - no desktop icons, no visual effects, minimum icons in the system tray etc. Often with Windows I turn off the XP theme and have it look like Windows 2000.

I have not yet installed PCLinuxOS but will do (as a dual boot with XP) soon. It is the only one that worked properly with my hardware without messing around (including having ndiswrapper and a GUI to configure it in the standard distro so I could get the wirelesss to work easily).

5. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I like things to be efficient - but I like them to look good too.

I added some light effects and anti-aliasing to it in order to make it look even better. Believe it or not, it actually makes me do my work faster.

6. TriBi

Ah - geek speak....isn't it wonderful!:grin:

(Don't worry guys...I'm just jealous 'cos I'd never be able to get my brain around that, LOL!)

7. GQMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I attempted to get Ubuntu, but it would have erased Vista because Ubuntu didnt automatically partition to some other space. I tried to partition myself but it was a lost cause. But I have always loved the look of Compiz/Beryl

8. Double Dubya

:jawdrop: WOW:icon_wink