1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, decisions..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pistachio, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So-
    When I was younger I was obsessed with the Pokemon franchise for years. I collected the cards, watched the show, bought Pokemon books, had Pokemon plushies, read the occasional comic.. You get the picture. BUT. Crazy as it may sound- I never played any of the games. My parents wouldn't let me get a DS because after seeing how fixated I was on everything else, they figured if I got to play the games too they would never see me again :wink:
    Now as a teenager my interest has been rekindled with the recent teasers for gen 7 and the release of Pokemon GO (team valor out there, anyone?)..
    With all the money I've saved up over the past few years (mostly cus I never buy anything haha) I've been thinking I could probably buy a DS myself and play the games I've always wanted to.
    But I've got a bit of a problem. I know very little about the different models, and I dunno which Pokemon games are compatible with which machines.

What I do know-

* I don't need anything with a crazy amount of features. I really just want to play Pokemon and maybe a few other games.
    * I'd like nice graphics, if possible. I just don't want the imagery to be lousy enough to distract from gameplay.
    * I don't want it to be super clunky, so 2DS is probably out.
    * I would prefer something that isn't super expensive. Main reason I'm hesitant about the 3DS. That, and I don't need or want all of the extra features, and probably wouldn't use the 3D feature AT ALL. Maybe the 3DS XL would be nice because of the screen size and pretty graphics, but I'm still worried about the same things as with the regular one. Plus it's probably even /more/ expensive, and I'm betting the larger size would make it clunkier. Which is a no thank you.
    * I'm considering the DS lite, but I'm not sure if its compatible with Pokemon B&W or X&Y, or will be with future games. And I don't want to get something super outdated and then regret it because I'll have to update shortly after, y'know? That and I'm pretty sure the screen is kinda small, and that could be irritating for obvious reasons

Anywho, nice of you to listen to my long annoying ramble. Any advice on which to pick? Info? Got a favorite Pokemon/DS game? Which Pokemon game(s) should I play first? Tips for playing them in general? Thanks-

2. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would definitely get the 3DS XL (the normal one, the "New" XL is more expensive), I have one and love it. As far as the DS Lite goes, it cannot play X&Y, ORAS or the upcoming Sun & Moon. However, it can play B&W, but you can also play B&W (as well as the other DS games) on the 3DS. You can get the 3DS XL for around $120 or so, I got mine at Gamestop for $80 when they were on sale several months ago, upgraded from my 2DS. You can possibly find them cheaper on eBay and/or amazon than what gamestop is currently wanting for them.

As for the games, I would start off with Heartgold/SoulSilver and/or ORAS (Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire). Those are the best games since the GBA games in my opinion, although the others are still good none the less.

#2 Blood Elf, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  3. Brytaleith

Whoo Pokemon! I'm kinda starting to get into it and I'm actually playing Pokemon Ruby on an online emulator, arcadespot, because I'm a poor student (also bc I see no point in buying a DS).

(TEAM DABIRDINDANORF FTW)