1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Device For University/College

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lukeluvznicki13, Aug 22, 2016.

?

What device would be the best for university/college

1. Windows Laptop

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. MacBook Air or Pro

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Chromebook

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. iPad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Android Tablet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Microsoft Tablet

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. lukeluvznicki13

Hi all :slight_smile:

I'll be in my 1st year of university/college next year and I was wondering if you could vote and provide tech advice on what device(s) would be best for me to use at university especially when it comes to making & taking notes during lectures.

Many thanks,

2. Zodavva

It's quite hard to give a recommendation between just a Macbook Air/Pro (which you're probably just looking at two devices, which are both good laptops in my opinion, though rather expensive also) compared to Windows laptops, which could be almost anything, and I'm no expert on them.

What are you planning on using the laptop for? If it's just for taking notes in lectures, almost anything will do. But it's worth considering if there's anything else you'd like to do with it - what sorts of things are you planning on studying, is there any specific software that you may need to use for your course? Be aware that Chromebooks/iPads/tablets will not give you the flexibility to install the range of software that's available for macOS and Windows.

3. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As above, it depends on a lot of things. Between Mac and Windows, you'll probably want to stick with whichever you're already familiar with. American education taught me to use Windows effectively, but that's really the only reason I never learned Mac systems.

Since you emphasize that it's mainly for notes, a Chromebook or tablet will probably do, but if you're looking at a science/technical/whatever degree where you might need to work with CAD or other simulation software, you'll probably want a real laptop for the processing power.

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I would at least suggest to go with a Mac or Windows PC. Tablets can be convenient if you have them but there are plenty of things that are just easier/more convenient to do on a regular computer. I would highly suggest against getting a chromebook. despite the cheaper pricepoint of chromebooks, It runs on a different OS from Macs/Windows which means less compatability between programs and i've been hearing nothing but issues from the people at my college who decided to get a chromebook.

#4 kibou97, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  5. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on what you're interested in and what your budget is. If you want something cheap and reliable, and you're not interested in gaming, then a Chromebook may be your best option.

6. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This depends.
    If you aren't wanting to carry it around to classes, a windows laptop.
    However, if you're wanting to carry it around to classes to take notes and such, I would recommend a chromebook.
    If you have a chromebook, any documents you complete are automatically saved to Google docs, and are accessible on any internet enabled device.
    I'd say the downside to full sized laptops is portability, I mean, yeah they're portable but not enough to carry around daily.
    Tablets, unless you have an attachable keyboard, can become annoying when trying to take notes and typing.

So it really all depends on your needs.

7. Jellal

Get something old/used that won't be stolen.

8. KBrandonSB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A windows laptop would be cheaper than an apple one and usually more reliable as long as you're comfortable with tech.

9. schrodinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would recommend an older macbook air. Mine is a late 2010 model and it's been great. Old enough to be cheap second hand (i paid $300), new enough to have all the features i want. It's really light and durable and lends itself well to being carted around in a backpack with a huge pile of heavy textbooks. The one issue i have with it is the battery. It lasts around and hour an a half, it needs a new one but i can't afford it at the moment. If you have access to power points in your classes it's not a problem though.

10. Brytaleith

I'd generally stick with a laptop, because of all the ports and stuff. Also I'd stick with a Windows laptop, probably, because I'm more familiar with it. But you do you.

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest a laptop with Windows or a Chromebook. It really depends on the study you'll do, but you should keep in mind that certain programs will not work on systems besides Windows.