1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more notebooks for consumers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Worgen2, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

I noticed also that Toshiba stopped making Satellite notebook PCs but I wonder why. I have a Toshiba C55-B5201 and I always liked Toshiba since they are affordable and also have no ground polar on the power plug so they will work even in Japan. Most notebook PCs have 3 polar two for power and one is for ground not much make just the power without the ground. But anyone is it for sure that Toshiba will never make consumer PCs anymore? Or is that just someone said and isn't really true?

Thank you

2. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh god Toshiba stopped making decent laptops years ago. As far as I know, they will continue to produce mediocre shit I won't buy indefinitely, so that theory of yours is totally false. Their US website shows new, updated laptop models running Windows 10 so...yeah. Really, HP and Dell make far more reliable and high grade machines if you're willing to part with a sizable chunk of money. Toshiba and Acer computers are notriously unreliable and quality control is seriously spotty.
    Even my past experience with Lenovo has been poor, those laptops were awful. The newer high end Lenovo machines are nice though, despite the shameful display and build quality of their midrange brethren.

#2 Celatus, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Just to let you know laptops are now called notebooks since they are thinner and lighter. Back in the 80s they were called laptops and in the 90s they became notebooks. Kinda similar to people use to call Bison Buffalo. I use to thought Bison were called Buffalo but I found out they are called Bison just as laptops are now called notebooks. They mean the same things but one is the new term and one is old. Older generations attend to call the old way though.

But are Toshiba notebooks that bad? Is that why Toshiba quit making consumer notebooks and only businesses?

#3 Worgen2, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Out of all of the laptop brands I've/my family has tried over the past 10ish years, Toshiba was by far the worst and had the most technical problems, had to take it in to get work done on it 3 times within maybe two years before we just gave up when we had a 4th issue with it. Personally, I've liked ASUS the most but it can be pricier than other laptops.

5. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Just wondering but are even the Tecra series bad also even they are made for businesses from Toshiba? Were all Toshiba notebooks made that bad? I never knew that but maybe soon Toshiba won't make anymore PCs since if no one ever buys them if they are made that bad. Or is it just you guys that think they are bad? Meaning it's not a fact it's just what some people think?

Kinda like some think Toyota cars last longer than Honda. I always heard that from a lot of people though. But everyone thinks differently on stuff.

#5 Worgen2, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  6. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's just us who think it's bad, they're pretty universally panned for making either bad or overly mediocre laptops/notebooks. If you just google "top laptop manufacturers 2016", Toshiba is ranked at the very bottom by multiple sites.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn son. I've been using a Toshiba laptop as a "Makeshift Gaming PC" for about five years or so. I've had countless problems from the battery and charger to blue screens and freezes over the years. A little attached to it since I'm so used to moving characters and doing pixel art with this mouse. When I can finally afford a better one I want to look for a similar mouse pad but until then eh. Might have to be custom built.

Though it's full of issues, it's the only one on it's price range that has that nice mouse and is capable of running games to some extent.

Honestly, of all the cheap laptops I've bought I could probably have gotten a decent one by now. This is like my 5th and they don't last but around two years before crippling issues make simple tasks like starting up or opening IE take an hour.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember one writer commenting that some lines of Toshiba made some real junk at the loe end. This comment was made about 10 years ago.

I have never had a Toshiba. For that matter, I've never really had anything but a desktop computer. But Toshiba lost points with me many years ago when I heard horror stories of what it could be like getting Linux to run on a Toshiba. I can't remember the details, but I do remember saying: "Forget Toshiba!"

9. Mitchell

Ten years ago I loved Toshiba notebooks, they were very durable and had great support... then I needed a repair, and the local shop claimed that the memory I purchased from crucial was what was wrong, they took the memory module out and gave me the laptop back. I took it home, just to find out the problem wasn't solved. I ended up having to mail it in to their service center after telling them that I was certain I had a cracked motherboard but the local authorized repair center said that nothing was wrong with hte motherboard, I just had faulty RAM. Repair center had apologized and they had repaired the motherboard... although they packaged the notebook terribly when returning it back to me and it was damaged in transit by UPS. I had to file a claim and I ended up getting a replacement... but it was a terrible experience.

10. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are correct. Toshiba no longer manufactures "consumer" laptops; they have limited themselves to a few relic business machines.

Sony dropped their laptop line altogether.

Laptops are no longer the most popular computing device; tablets and smartphones have taken over. I foresee the death of the laptop entirely in the next decade or so. For me? No, I will always need a more powerful computer than what a tablet or smartphone can provide. If that means a desktop is all I can use, then so be it.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe laptops will die. Then, again, maybe not.

I do think the trend does seem very clearly headed in a tablet/phone direction. But I think laptops could survive as a niche format for people who need or prefer them. Keep in mind--it may be niche, but there could be enough people to make it make it profitable for companies to still provide a handful of models.

I'm pretty sure I heard comments about the death of desktop computers about 10 years ago, and it hasn't happened yet. Admittedly, today most people seem to buy laptops. AFAIK I'm the only person with a desktop. But there are still buyers, and even Apple--which heavily embraced portability--still has 3 desktop computer offerings.

12. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apple does have three, but from the Apple news that I follow, I'm suspecting two of those to be discontinued soon :slight_smile:

I fully agree with you, however: I use a desktop regularly (using one right now) and I am in the market for a laptop (hopefully the new MacBook Pro, whenever that comes out). I cannot replace my productivity machine with a tablet. Hopefully the niche market is enough to sustain the production of these machines, because I can't ever see myself not wanting one -_-

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Which two do you expect to be discontinued soon?

I know rumors have circulated off and on for years that Mac mini might go, which wouldn't be totally surprising.

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm expecting to say sayonara to the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro (the latter of which hasn't been updated since 2013). It seems to me they want to emphasize the iMac as their sole desktop.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting, Libertino. I had sort of half thought that it might the Mac mini and the iMac simply because the Pro was fairly new (admittedly not updated, but a totally new design not too many years ago), and it has more power for the pro market. But...I have to say I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't go, either.

The thing I don't like if the Mac mini and the Mac Pro go is that this leaves buyers with zero options from Apple that are screenless. I really don't like their addiction to glossy screens--yes, the screens can be nice, but I hate the potential for glare. My #1 need is readable text, not eye popping color on photos.

Of course, my opinion really doesn't count. The last brand new Apple product I had was made in 1989...so I'm not exactly a major source of revenue. :lol: