1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resources for learning code?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by EleanorHunter, Aug 30, 2016.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm at college for the first time as a computer science major. I'm excited, being a freshman, but also a little intimidated. A lot of these kids have been coding since they were in the fifth grade, but I've only been exposed to it in the past year or so. I only realized what I wanted to do when I was going into my junior year of high school, so I didn't exactly research computers or code before then. Plus, my high school offered no coding classes, and the robotics club was... unpleasant, to put it politely.

We'll mostly be learning Python, but I'm wondering if there are any other resources online that you guys know about that I could use? Preferably free ones, I am officially a "poor college student" after all. :slight_smile: If it's for other coding languages that's cool too, I'm trying to learn as much as I can while also working to stay at the top of the class.

Before you ask, yes, I've tried some websites like Codeacademy, HTML dogs, and Code Avengers. So far I like HTML dogs, but some of the stuff they explain is a little too basic and needs to be explained a little more. So if you guys have anything, please let me know!

2. faustian1

Can you take an assembly language class in school? I mean, Python is fine and all, but I found that coding in assembly language promotes good thinking, designs with economy of execution, and good habits of documentation. A lot of what people starting out in that business do is basically hacking, and the word "design" is included in "software design" for a reason. Anyway, that's my suggestion. Old school, but useful.

3. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tch, don't worry about being behind. I came into the intro CS course at my college last year as freshman, with people that had been basically coding since birth. Don't worry too much about that, you'll get the hang of it, and at some point, the classes will even out.

I don't know how expensive/free it is, but somebody recommend Course Era (?) to me to learn assembly/systems code (Specifically Stanford's CS107 class). You may also be able to find coding books at the university library as well (Eric Roberts' Java and C++ books are good), which are free (ish bc tuition). I actually only have exposure to Java/C++/C, so I can't really say anything about Python.

4. lulzsec

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Try learning visual basic, (VB) i usually recommend it because it has a GUI to make it more interesting and you can actually see whats happening on the screen.when your first starting that's what its all about -Instant results-

5. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into these things.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Python is like the easiest. :3 (*hug*)

7. lulzsec

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Family only
    bash seems pretty archaic and fundamental too, I created a script for stardoll using only bash. This game my Girlfriend used to play, It created thousands of accounts with email verification and rated all her stuff five stars haha i'd even say have a goal of what you want to make and find the best suiting language

8. faustian1

...so that's why Facebook claims over a billion users....

9. CyclingFan

Python is a great place to start. I have also found that the first language is the hardest, and once I knew a couple it has been pretty easy to learn more.