1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep getting kicked off internet

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Browncoat, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, for the past couple weeks I have had day-to-day bouts of constantly getting kicked off my internet connection. I'll get the browser started up and within 2-3 minutes I either get kicked and automatically reconnect (so just have to restore page) or get kicked off entirely and have to manually reconnect.

I asked my roommates about it and overall they do not seem to be having a problem. Only very occasionally are they getting kicked off. So, it would seem to be a problem with my laptop! Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help!

2. yuanzi

Are you using wifi? If so is the signal somehow weaker in your room compared to your roommates'?

Have you tried restarting your computer?

If it is indeed your computer's problem, there are usb type wifi thingy for sale (forgot the actual name) so that you can plug it in and connect to wifi through that instead.

That's all I can think of for now...

3. faustian1

Connect to another access point with the same notebook. See if the problem persists. If not, suspect the router.

Also, this is a symptom that I have had frequently, as routers go bad. I'll notice this tendency to disconnect and reconnect, and after replacing the router (with the spare I always have ready to go), problem solved. For some reason, Apple products were much more prone to not playing nice with glitchy routers, and were the first to do this.

One problem is that I always use open source firmware in routers, and it appears to me that it gives the NVRAM quite a workout. Eventually, the wear-leveling features of NVRAM quit working, and the memory develops errors. I get from 14 to 18 months out of routers, typically. I've also had a lot of factory firmware routers fail the same way.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless it's just not compatible with my computer, it doesn't seem to be my router. So far I've tried restarting tried router, turning off the firewall, and removing excess programs. How does the USB wifi work? Does it need to come from my internet provider?

Honestly at this point I'm tempted just to circumvent my roommates and get my own personal wifi. I can't do anything over the internet on my laptop anymore, everything is through my iPod touch.