1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital/Video Cameras

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 24601, Jun 26, 2007.

1. 24601

I'm (hopefully) accepting a job at a consumer electronics retail store (think Circuit City/Best Buy etc.), and told them that the area of greatest knowledge/expertise is computer technology (now, this is just a retail store, I do have knowledge of computers as I've made just about every replacement possible/fixed a ton of problems on my own personal one, but anyway, it is just a retail store and there will be training... keep that in mind while reading). So, the guy my first interview was with told me that's where I'd probably end up. Okay, cool. I like computers and am good with them. But then he added that that also includes Digital and Video Cameras, which I have almost no clue about. Now, I don't need to become an overnight expert or anything. But, could someone with some knowledge on this matter give me a basic rundown of the things you'd look for in both of these and some differences between brands, etc.? I'd just like to not sound like a dumbass when the next guy talks to me.

Thanks!

2. Jim1454

Why not go to the web sites for Sony or Cannon and read up a bit? You'd pick up some of the lingo there.

Now-a-days most digital cameras take video clips, and most video cameras take still pictures, but of course they are each better doing what they were meant to do respectively. Mega pixels is the measure in terms of picture clarity - higher being 'better' resolution.

Storage or memory also differentiate them - some video cameras now have a mini burnable DVD that goes inside, while others use digital memory cards. Maybe you can still buy ones that use tape... don't know.

That's pretty much all I know! lol - now you're on your own.

3. Jim1454

Oh - and good luck with the job interviews!

4. 24601

Yeah I planned on going to some sites too, but just wanted to see if anyone was experienced in that area and could give some additional insight. Thanks :grin:

5. Kimi

Hmm...I'm not an expert so I don't know if I can help you or I'm telling you truth but....

Digital cameras are already near to perfection, I mean there aren't so many difference between them. So the difference are brand, type of memory(SD card, Compact Frash...etc) and characteristic(merit) and of course, price. Like Jim said, Mega pixels is the measure in terms of picture clarity - higher being 'better' resolution. And I believe 7.0~12.0 or less are standards thesedays(Nobody really needs that high quality unless you photographer...And probably we don't have the printer that can represents camera's quality). Anyways, the most important thing when picking a digital camera can revise a fuzzy picture due to camera shake. That is really important. And people tended to buy a camera that has bigger screen on back of it.
    Oh, and don't forget about digital single-lens reflex(DSLR) they are very expensive but they are the best of all.

Digital video cameras are very different when it comes bout type of memory. There are tape(still), DVD, Some card(Usually SD card) and HDD(Hard Disk Drive). I don't really know much about them but usually better cameras cost more(=hell a lot of) money. I believe Sony and Panasonic are leading the market. Canon makes pretty cheap basic model...as far as I remember...

And believe me, if you have knowledge of computers, then you can't really ask dump question:icon_wink And don't worry they are not expecting you to known everything that they're gonna tell you while they train you:icon_bigg

I'm hoping everything will work out well(accepting a job and training):thumbsup: