1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using NFC to transmit Student ID at my University

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MtnFr3sh, Oct 5, 2016.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Alrighty guys! I could use your help.

I have been scouring the internet, to no avail. I cannot find a single thing leading to any legitimate information regarding this. Everything I find people just say 'maybe'

I was wondering if there was any way, like an app people may know about, that i can use on my phone to transmit my Student ID number via NFC to unlock doors I have access to.

I'm asking because It would be easier than pulling my ID out of my waller to slide it every time.

Our IDs do not tap in order to scan. However the scanners are tap enabled, they have the little logo that indicates it is NFC enabled.

Our Student IDs don't seem to be encrypted in any way. They're stock, magnetized, no big deal. Only costs a couple bucks to replace and there's no whole 'reactivation' process.

I've scanned them at my job, I work in an office with the University, and the only information on those IDs period, is the student's ID number.

I would like to be able to scan my phone to open the doors to my residence hall because I had a ID holder on my lanyard, but my ID has fallen out a couple times. Able to find them but this last time I couldn't and had to replace it, paying a small fee.

Plus, I think it's be cool to hold up my phone and use NFC to unlock the doors lol

2. Mitchell

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd imagine there's a way to do this, but the trouble may be more than it's worth. I had the same problem, although, my University only installed the swipe mechanism for students. And so does my brother; however, he has an adhesive pocket that attaches to the back of his phone and keeps his ID in there. So whenever he needs access to a room for students he just holds his phone up to the mechanism so that may be a possible avenue for you to look into

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It would be cool...

I know what I'm about to say probably dates me as being positively ancient... But I'm sort of amazed by the card technology alone. In my era, they still used key based locks, and the keys generally had a very prominent DO NOT DUPLICATE stamped on them. How times change... It's probably for the better, since if a card gets lost it can be deactivated quickly. I know of a college that had a master key vanish many years ago. Oops. I know someone who worked there, and went with him one morning before his building was unlocked. They were in the process of rekeying locks, and he didn't have a key to his building yet, so we got to wait for campus security to come and unlock. A hassle, but I will say there was one good thing: the campus security guy was cute...

#4 BMC77, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't, you'll have campus security take a sudden keen interest in your experiments. Just swipe the card, it's a hell of a lot better than physical keys.