1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easiest coding langauge to learn

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wolfwing, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

I want to learn how to write code. Though, I want to know which coding langauge would be easiest and best for a beginner to learn. Also, would it be a good idea for me to learn several coding languages or do I only need to learn one?

2. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recommend either Python or C++. As far as learning several coding languages, it's good to be versatile. If you're learning to code for the job market, I heavily recommend adding to your coding toolbox. If you want to learn more than one coding language, I strongly recommend mastering one language first before tackling the next.

3. HuskyLover

Depends on what you want to do. However I know that Lua is very easy to learn.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As said by HuskyLover, it really depends on your intentions. If you plan to use coding languages for websites, it's best to go for a combination of HTML and JavaScript (along the way you'll discover more). If you go for web application, you could opt for Ruby (which is used for Rails) or Python (which is used for Django).

If you intend to learn to code to develop games, it might be a good idea to pick up some C++. If you want to make codes for other purposes, Monte Carlo simulations for instance, you could go for plenty of languages like the C's (C, C#, C++), Java, Python and more. Specifically Java and Hadoop (and more recently, Spark) may be interesting picks for specific problems.

I'm not familiar with languages like Haskell and Lisp, but they have their uses as well. And oh, if you plan on using programming languages for forums, an obvious pick would be PHP. If you want to go for statistical data analysis, R is a good pick.

I don't think that there is an "easiest" coding language, really. It depends on what kind of programming language you want to learn (for instance, Java, Python and C++ are more closely related than I'd say Python and Haskell). Python and C++ are arguably easier than Java, but this really depends on what you prefer.

However, one programming language usually turns out to be not enough, but this really depends on your intentions. But don't worry, if you need some other coding language, you can often pick it up with relative ease (given that it's not too dissimilar).

5. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Even though it's serverside I honestly would say PHP. You don't need any libraries to get it running and it's super easy to learn if you know HTML.

6. Nikky DoUrden

Python.

Why u guys say C++ is "easy" though ? its maybe one of the most complicated langauges, its very hard to find C++ experts that know the language to its roots! and they keep adding more and more things to it, its only getting more complicated.
    If anything, C could be considered easier than C++, although u still need to understand pointers which is something u dont usually deal with other languages.

7. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    C++ is by far one of the most difficult languages to master. Java is child's play in comparison. Python is probably the friendliest language for beginners, period.

8. lindanexus

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    For me, Python & C#. As @Nikky DoUrden said, c++ is not really too easy but it's one of my favorite language.

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming from a beginner programmer, Python is very nice. There's a lot of concepts that are used in other coding languages (I have friends that know more than one language and accidentally write their Python programs in two languages!), and it's pretty easy. Plus there's a lot of resources online for it.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started with Python, but I am most proficient in Perl (used it in my bioinformatics research). Stick with one language because you need to learn the principles of programming before trying others.

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should look up this nightmare of a language called Haskell. It's a 'pure' functional language. It will break your understanding of traditional imperative programming haha. There's some seriously weird and powerful stuff you can do with it.