1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right way is saying Notebook PC

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Worgen2, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

I did a deep researched and found out that 90s and after they are called Notebooks since they are a lot thinner and lighter like a Notebook you write on. They aren't think and heavy as they use to be that would call them laptops. To me every time I see the word Laptop I think of my parents days or older people and people who are young don't use that. Kinda like Netbook use to be called Nettops but they are Netbooks or Ultrabooks not Ultratops. The only reason some sites still call them Laptops is so older generations know what it is since older ones don't know what is a Notebook is on a computer they think like a Notebook you write on. I can say I use to call them Laptops but after researching in 201 I never knew that the right way is called Notebooks. This is true fact.

I know younger generations will be calling them Notebooks since that's what they are called but older ones are likely not remember to call them that even they are now called Notebooks. I guess they are just old. lol

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I'm concerned, the kind of computer that folds one way (not all the way around like a 2-in-1) is still a laptop. Most of them are still a lot bigger and heavier than actual notebooks. I'll make an exception for Chromebooks, though, because those things are portability incarnate.

3. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Have you seen the ones in the 80s that were really called Laptops? They are huge and bulky compared to todays notebooks. They have like few floppy drives and they are heavy. I see them and now I see why later on they are called notebooks. But I know for a fact after I deep researched the difference in the two and it clearly said that 80s they were called Laptops and 90s they are called Notebooks. I really had to do some digging but I finally found the truth. A lot of sites just say they are the same but I finally found out they are really called Notebooks today.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At one time I had one of those old beasts. It even had one of those black on gray LCD screens too. (got it free, didn't work.. I was gonna see if I could fix it, but never got around to it)

I've always called them Laptops, and always will. A notebook as far as I'm concerned is made of paper. :lol:

#4 SimplyJay, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  5. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Well that's why they call it a Notebook PC so people know it's a PC not a normal Notebook. Basically add PC after Notebook.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I, too, remember those old laptops. Not so much when they were new--they were expensive and limited back in the 1980s, and no one I knew had such a computer. (Well, one teacher did have one of the small Radio Shack TRS 80 portables (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Model_100). Indeed, it was quite a surprise when I visited my old college in the late 1990s for the first time since the early 1990s just to see how many students had laptops with them in the library or a coffee shop off campus. I don't think I saw a single laptop once ca. 1990 (the last time I was really on campus and able to observe what students were doing).

However, old laptops have sometimes crossed my path in recent years. And yes, they are heavy and bulkier than today's.

However...the same can probably be said for what some would argue should be called a notebook computer. I have a PowerBook 1400, which I think is new enough to fall under the notebook label. (Mid-late 1990s. It's entirely possible that I'd have seen one of these that first trip back to my old college campus.) It's about the size of a 3 ring binder. But...it's a lot thicker and heavier than anything made today.

I, too, would tend to stick with the label "laptop." Yes, I'm old, and so that's the label I first knew. But I also feel that a "notebook" computer should be about the size of a standard 3 ring binder. Many portable laptops are larger.

Then, too, the names have a way of changing for little good reason. I cannot see any really compelling reason why laptop became notebook (except, perhaps, for a small laptop no bigger than a paper notebook).

7. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

I can say one thing strange is that Kent my boyfriend never knew they were called Notebook PCs even his 9 years younger than me he now knows but he said it will take time for him to get use to calling them that. I think since his parents and other friends parents said the old way that's why he never knew they were called notebooks now. Also Kent doesn't know much about computers I know that for a fact for example he thought the computer monitor has the video card built in them and I was like "What" I didn't first understood what he was trying to say about video card could be bad in a monitor I get at GoodBytes for $10 since I was going to get a cheap desktop PC from there and monitor and keyboard and mouse. He said to make sure the video card is working in the monitor but I told him the video card and monitor is too different things. Video cards are what you put in your tower or some are built in the motherboard which are called IGP and you connect the VGA or DVI cable from the video card to the monitor so monitors doesn't have any video card. He did also said if the video card is broke it won't display and yes that is true and then if that happens I will have to replace it and if it's a IGP then I just have to add a discrete video card in the PCI-E slot. But I still think he thinks the monitor has to have the video card since he said if I have to pay $40 at least for a low end video card why not get monitor that is more than $10. He apparently doesn't know much about computers but he did in the past say that he knows how to browse the web and play games and stuff and nothing much after that. But I thought he knew what a video card is since he plays games like me although mostly console systems he plays like PS2 or Xbox. I thought someday I will need to show him what a video card is so he won't think the video card is built in the monitor. I been always a computer geek and he knows it so he always lets me do the tech work on his computers if he has a problem. I use to built custom towers but now I just been buying premade ones since it's faster and easier. I did learn that notebooks are limited to what can be upgrade since everything is one piece and only like the hard drive, memory and one certain gaming notebooks can upgrade the video card but most can only upgrade pretty much just the hard drive or memory. I had a Sony notebook that had Express card slot but can't really do much on that. With desktops I have more freedom to upgrade and change specs if I wanted to and have the money of course.

But what I' am talking about at the end is off topic lol.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm right there with you!

9. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Well it's normal that older generations don't want to update what they call it but younger ones I know will learn or already know they are Notebook PCs. So I' am not worried about younger generations and also younger ones will take over so I know everyone will know they are Notebook PCs.

10. Sialoquent

I've always insisted on calling it a "fancy-computing device-doohickey"

11. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have a word obsession problem. They're laptops for god's sake. Or notebooks. Or whatever the heck you want to call them.