1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Plans (iPhone 5s)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hawk, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm thinking of reactivating my iPhone today, and I was looking at some data plans, and Googling what other people thought of some of the plans online.

I'm thinking of either going with a $30/month plan with 100mins and 100MBs, but I was wondering if 100MBs would be enough data for a month. I'm usually on WiFi somewhere either at the school or at the res.

OR

I could get the $40/month plan with 500mins and 1GB.

OR

I could just get PPU (Pay Per Use) data and Unlimited minutes for $40/month. (I'm just worried that it'll start to get expensive overtime with either $40 plan).

2. Night Rain

100MB is really not enough IMO. You would have to be very careful not to go over the limit. Of course I don't know how often you use the internet. The second plan sounds much better (500 mins + 1GB). The third plan is really terrible, because your main concern should be the data limit, not the call limit (especially when there are many ways to call for free nowadays).

3. Psaurus918

I use about 2GBs of data a month... I had unlimited data but just swapped it for 3GBs to save $35 on my bill

4. faustian1

100 MB won't be enough with the 5s, if it has the usual configuration and the cellular data is turned "on" all the time. All the apps want to call home to momma all the time, and it sucks data like a sinkhole.

I have a 500 MB plan and manage to stay under it by turning the cellular data off a lot of the time. It's easy from the settings page. Also, be sure to give only the apps you want to waste bandwidth on permission to use the data.

In general, I like the iphone 5s. About three phones ago I had a windows phone. That damned thing was relentless. If it was not in an area where it could roam data, then it would try calling home to Bill Gates every 0.05 seconds, and suck the battery down in zero in less than four hours. The iphone is really good on battery use, but I have to say now that I've had three of them each one is getting a little closer to that Bill Gates/Wall Street assumption that they have you where they want to.

If you're younger than the geezer I am, you probably should get the 1GB/month.

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys, I ended up getting the 500mins/1 GB plan. :slight_smile:

6. faustian1

So next, just remember, you can't easily disable the voice command system on the lock screen, so you'll butt-dial the NSA if you push that home button (with or without fingerprint ID). To get rid of this nonsense, you have to enable SIRI, make some settings, and then ban SIRI from using your data. Then the lock screen works like a truthful lock screen. As soon as you totally disable SIRI, the butt-dial plan B comes right back at you...

#6 faustian1, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Straight Talk gives unlimited talk and text and 7GB of data for $45 a month.