1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any GameMaker users here ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nikky DoUrden, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Nikky DoUrden

Its kinda convinient to use as someone who usually code those kind of things from scratch!
    I wonder if anyone made a full game?

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Made full games with my brother in the past. =] Studio looks very nice though!

3. Nikky DoUrden

It is very convenient! Its possible to make simple games fast with the many tutorials on youtube :grin:
    Was your game for funzies or actually sold it?
    I have the free edition only so I cant export games to html5/android i wonder if i should try another platform, even though GM:S is sooooo convenient ^_^

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I made a ton of engine tests and simple games with it, having plans for something pretty big. Unfortunately I spent way too much time working on the sprites for the world and player dialogue portraits and very slowly forgot about it. A fairly sized exploration prototype about cats, a antivirus vs virus "turret tower defense" test, an attempt at an "open world platformer" about robots and some other things less playable.

Also made a simple R-Type fangame I didn't publicly release, it had three different stages with scaling difficulty and randomly placed enemies, a Gains mech boss/ally, and an endless mode. It was intended to be like "R-type: Final" but more pixelated and with random generation and player choices. I'd say the hardest part was programming the Force orb to latch onto the player's ship, and detach as a mobile weapon when needed.

Problem is, that was all in Gamemaker 7 pro which doesn't seem to be available to download anymore, and doesn't want to function when I manually attempt to move it off my busted laptop so I can continue my projects. I miss it and I'd like to get back into it in time. I might grab studio later if I can work again in a similar fashion.

...and maybe get into sound synthesizing. The biggest complaint I get aside from optimization tends to be the lack of proper custom sounds and music. I can make the player walk around, have the legs moving properly too, but when it gets to the footstep sounds, ouch.

5. Nikky DoUrden

Those all sound like cool projects, have u uploaded them somewhere for others to enjoy? :grin:
    Unlike u, i just "lend" complicated sprites just so i see things working while i develop the game. Although now i try to create my own sprite for a 32x32 hero who move boxes. so far i have a circle. and two little legs. why is graphics so hard!!
    About open world platformer - I think your best bet is HTML5 since people could play it on browser, can be pretty neat, although i didn't try HTML5 engines yet myself.

One thing to note, GM:S is (still?) free and im sure it can import GM7 projects (!)

And for the sound part, I have been suggested of a site Bfxr. Make sound effects for your games. which can generate for u automatically game sounds like walking and shooting (pew pew pew!) and u can play around with the synthesizer as u like, so that also not a problem doing on ur own anymore, maybe the biggest difficulty is the game theme music :grin:

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hm, this looks useful. I've never really had properly working sounds so this would certainly be a step ahead. Now if I can get it working again before I forget, haha...

Technically yes, I have uploaded the R-Type game in the past at least, but since it's under one of my accounts it's likely against the rules for me to post it here. Link's probably broken by now anyway considering how old it is, but I still have the file. Might tweak it and re-release it if I can get 7 up and running.

As for spriting... I'd say one thing I did was do a "skeleton" of sorts first, when the walking/etc animation looked OK I could go back over it and make proper sprites. I loved the old sprite editor, especially it's great zoom for small sprites, colorization tool, and individual frame editing with a convenient animation preview. Sometimes I would do larger sprites in other programs and import them though. 32x32 is a fairly standard size I believe, pretty friendly with solid tiles.

(Speaking of solid tiles, never forget to make a "mask" layer so your character properly interacts with the world, for example you have a box where the player's torso would be to where the feet are, the player will stand "in front" of the wall near the top, but not the one near the bottom. Simulating a view. It often also applies to projectiles too though, so that is worth consideration, if you want a projectile to hit the player there you can use workarounds like an invisible "sphere" on the head and copy the damage player interaction to it.)

7. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a platformer with like 70 levels? It was still unfinished though, it's still available online actually. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We made it for fun, to explore the possibilities that GameMaker has to offer and to see how well we could program/design stuff. It's funny to see that the game gets more interesting/complicated (with respect to gimmicks and coding) the more you progress. It shows that we learnt along the way. :lol:

I believe my brother has Studio, the full version perhaps, but I'm not too sure. It's quite expensive but I think he bought it in a discount. I'd love to make another platformer.. You got me hyped again. :lol:

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used GameMaker YEARS ago. I fiddled around with it, but never made anything resembling an actual game.

Also just remembered Undertale was made on it. Still blows my mind.

I wonder, has the new version gotten any new controls or a different interface? Last I used it was around 2007.

#8 Jinkies, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016