1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corpse Party

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SabreBear, Dec 5, 2016.

1. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just wondering if anyone on this site has played/read/watched Corpse Party? It's one of my favourite series, even though I know it has its faults. ^^

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, I mistook this as a fan thread for Corpse Husband.

3. iiimee

First game, and may I say that I loved Morishique? XD

4. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shig was pretty cool. I kind of wish we got to see more of his descent into madness though. As when he first shows up he's already pretty far-gone.

I know he was pretty crazy, but I still kind of feel bad for him. Or, I should say, I feel bad for Mayu and by extension - Shig.

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really liked the first one, thought book of shadows was pretty good but not as good as the first, and really was not a fan of blood drive. Blood Drive had some good things about it (I liked the art style in it and the ost/art was still really good) but overall I didn't really enjoy it a ton. The limited edition it had though was fantastic.

#5 kibou97, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I 100% agree with you on that one. The original is hands down the best of the trilogy (at least in my opinion). BoS was good during some chapters (Demise and Blood Drive being the two most notable 'good' chapters for me.) Otherwise it had a tendency to drag on and not really help the story in any way. (*cough* Mire *cough*) When BoS was good though, I found it very good.

Also I think you're the first CP fan I've met who also dislikes BD. I don't understand why so many fans like it so much. It destroyed so many character arcs, tried to fill in lore with gibberish nonsense, when it was better off being left alone, and the ending.... oh man, don't get me started on the ending. It was just baffling to me.

The only part in BD that I enjoyed (or perhaps 'enjoyed' is a poor choice of wording) was also the only time I cried throughout the trilogy. And that was when Ayumi was using the ouiji board to talk to Seiko. I'm actually super glad they didn't have Naomi talk to Seiko or else I probably would've been dehydrated.

Though I will admit that BD has a pretty wicked OST.

What characters were your favourite?

7. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand it when people say they really liked BD, I hated how they suddenly started explaining everything as "It was actually black magic the whole time", that just felt super lazy and like a slap in the face to the first game. It made it seem like the first game really had no purpose to be there because of how much of the way things seemed to undermine the importance of stuff from the first game. It also completely destroyed Ayumi for me and I hated her so much by the end of BD.
    Kishinuma ended up being my favorite character but I really liked Kiriya's design.

#7 kibou97, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  8. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly! In the first game it made sense, the despair that Sachiko and her Mother suffered created Heavenly Host, with the three victims holding it together. It gave the game a more eerie vibe, that everything had been built on the sorrow that they all suffered. The gloom is incredibly evident, and really helped the horror vibe.

But no, they decided to shoehorn it to "oh but it was actually a super deadly spell all along, and Sachiko isn't even the person at the core of it all". The Queen (or whatever he name was) was probably the worst excuse for a final boss ever. I mean... what? I just... what? Am I supposed to believe that this embodiment of an nirvana was the real cause to Heavenly Host's existence? I just.. I can't.

Not to mention the ending was underwhelming in that aspect as well. The ending (or at least the true ending) in BC was tense - you had to help Sachiko, to bring out the good in her. There was no fancy battle, it was just you trying to appeal to her human nature. It was kind of beautiful in that way.

Of course that's not my only issue with the ending. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense. (But not a whole lot of BD did IMO.) I mean Ayumi just starts... eating the school? After having her eye taken out, for.. some reason? And then Yoshiki, who despite being emotional has always been fairly reasonable decides to stay... again for some reason. I mean I know he loved Ayumi and all, but he had no idea what was going to happen, or if he was even going to see her again. He could've just died as the nirvana was collapsing. Existence is more important than a boner Yoshiki

Then there's the bit at the end where he's in front of some door in the middle of nowhere... AGAIN for no reason. Why is that house there? If you've played DP, then you can suspect that it's where Ayumi lives, and Yoshiki is taking care of her, but still...

If I am being completely honest I am in such deep denial about the ending that I headcanon that Ayumi created a "new" Heavenly Host (albeit a bit different), and Yoshiki is acting as her kind of Yoshikazu. That might've been dark, but I much prefer it over whatever happened.

But all of BD seemed underwhelming for me. It seemed like they just wanted to be flashy, and cool. And while I can't say the concept of having the spirit world clash with the mortal world isn't cool, their execution of it was so poorly done. I mean what's up with the pillars? They were never even mentioned in a prior game, not even by someone like Naho someone who you'd think would know how supernatural planes were created.

And then you have the cults, which I thought were just... so dull... But that might just be because I found all the new characters introduced in BD dull. Kiriya was the only one that I actually somewhat enjoyed and he was a terrorist who wanted to collide the worlds together, so that should say something. His death was poorly done as well, like "oh! Satsuki is actually a monster! Whoa! She just bit his head off! Wow!" No. It was just so poorly done.

Also Sachi. I don't feel like I need to explain this one. Just. Sachi.

I apologize for being so negative. lol I love CP to death, and like a parent who is disappointed in their child, I just wanted them to do better.

9. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I hated the way they handled the ghost children and sachiko. It was super weird when Ayumi suddenly started eating the school itself. Yoshiki staying because he was too in love with Ayumi to leave her was a stupid move but I wasn't super surprised he did. I haven't played DP but I know Ayumi in her vegetative state shows up in it. The cults seemed really sudden and forced just so the game could have even more plot and some sort of a reason for why stuff was happening in BD, even if it was stupid. I didn't like Kiriya's personality but his death was so random and stupid. Overall it felt like the creators just stopped caring about the plotholes they were creating because they wanted to try a bunch of stuff that sounded cool on paper but ended up being a huge mess in the final product.

10. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have yet to play it but boY I REALLY WANT TO

11. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even remember what happened to the ghost children in BD. Did they even make an appearance? I know Sachi used the illusion of being Yuki (I think) to bring Ayumi back into Heavenly Host. Though I can't remember if the three of them actually ever showed up in the game.

And Sachiko... well, I mean I guess it was nice that she appeared as a good guy. Though I can't say I was especially empathetic when she 'died' or whatever happened with her.

Also, was the fact that Mayu is an aggressive spirit ever get an explaination? I was rethinking the game, and both Morishige and Seiko both seem to have kept their sanity. (Or I mean, as close to sanity as he can in the case for Shig.) We don't ever talk with Yui, though Mayu is the only spirit that actively attacks you. This always confused me. Is it because of the botched attempt to bring her back to life? Or because her death was just so... horrible, for lack of a better word, and she went crazy from that immense pain? Plus her spirit shows up at the final battle to help Ayumi so was she actually insane? In that case why attack Ayumi?

I suppose I'll never find out

And yeah, ultimately I think they thought it would be so cool and flashy, that they didn't stop to think. "Hm, maybe our execution of this won't work. Let's try something that will work better within the franchise."

You should! It's a really neat game. ^^ I would definitely recommend not watching the anime, or reading the manga first though. This is because the game definitely has the most content, and makes you feel the most for the characters.

Also A+ for Undertale