1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 Update Speed Ungodly Slow

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Assassin'sKat, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me?
    You see, when I get a new game, it wants me to update it. Sometimes, it's required. And it's extremely slow!!! It takes hours to update my games! And it makes my wifi slow for everything else.
    For example, right now I am trying to update Last of Us because it's actually required, and it's slowing down my wifi. I had to connect my laptop to my phone's hotspot to continue using the internet.
    If anyone knows what I should do, or where I could figure out what to do, help would be appreciated.

2. SiKiHe

As far as I know, thats just the PS3 for you. Downloads are slow, and syncing trophies is slow. I never figured out how to get it to speed up even with a good internet connection.

The best you could do is plug in an ethernet cable, that might relieve some of the strain on the wifi. But I don't see the downloads getting much faster. It's an older system now

3. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea, that's normal...Wired internet would do you better as SiKiHe said, but...it's still gonna be slow, man, it's always pretty damn slow, especially if it's a big update

4. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have mine update while I'm at work or while I'm sleeping because it usually takes forever.

5. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem with my PS4. I just think the servers aren't that stable. Do you have PS+? You're probably better off turning on automatic updates and setting it for when you're asleep. I'd suggest if you're on a wireless signal, try plugging an Ethernet cable directly into the back of your PS3 and trying the connection test again (after setting up the PS3 for a LAN cable through the same network menu).

If I put the system in rest mode, downloads seem to go faster if I'm updating or downloading/installing a new game. You could also try power cycling (turning off and on) your modem and router.

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I will have to leave it on for a couple of days to update The Last of Us. Problem is, I might get signed out of PSN and it will stop when I'm not looking. Ugh. Happened earlier...

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2017 at 01:03 PM ----------

Power Cycling? How does that work?
    I think I can try a wired connection, but I can't get PS+.
    Thanks.

7. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3726/power-cycling

I have a good internet connection at home but even downloads/updates are slow for me, sometimes 3-5 hours at a time.