1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A quick question about the raspberry pi

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wolfwing, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Wolfwing

So I'm planning on getting a raspberry pi, a pi 3 model b to be exact. I have a tablet that has a working display, but it doesn't have a working touchscreen. So I wanted to know if I'd be able to take the lcd screen out of it and connect it to the raspberry pi. And if so, how I would I do it?

2. Nikky DoUrden

Im not a raspberry pi expert but i did touch arduino and controllers in general, and what u describe is u want to take your tablet LCD screen to connect to the PI and use it there?
    1st u'll need to know how to break it
    2nd u'll need to know the LCD screen inputs/outputs pins and what sort of pins it has in the first place (which u might not have on the PI)
    3rd u'll need to look at that specific LCD screen datasheet, which will actually tell u what u need to send to it and what u'll recieve from it. that assuming there is no working library for that certain screen for the PI, which i dont know, u'll need to search for it!

That been said, yes, in my mind it seems a bit complicated, but u can always ask on official forums or reddit :slight_smile:

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, no.

Tablet and phone screens aren't usually HDMI driven, therefore, you would have to know the screen driving protocol from the tablet and create some kind of HDMI-to-protocol converter, which would be active (you'd need a chip.) That'd be rather cumbersome at best, and probably about as expensive as a cheap display.

4. Bakemono

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pumpkin Pi is highly recommended