1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some IT guy fixed my computer's line-in port, and now the sound isn't working...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Anthemic, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom tripped over my laptop cord last week, and it yanked apart something in the line-in port. There's an IT guy my sister knows, who offered to fix it. He was going to order a brand new cord for the inside, but he decided it would be easier to epoxy the cord back. Now I have to be extra careful with my laptop (which pisses me off, because I wanted what was BEST for my laptop, not what was easier). The reason I'm pissed is because this laptop cost me over $300 and it isn't even a month owned yet (I bought it in late December). Anyway, I got my laptop back today, and now the speakers aren't working; though, the sound works when I put in headphones. He claims that he took the whole computer apart, which is what I think screwed with my speakers. (I understand that he had to take my laptop apart in order to find the problem with the port.)

My problem is, he tried fixing my older laptop months ago, and he screwed up the sound on that one, too. Could this just be a coincidental mistake, or should I not trust this guy with my laptop? He is a certified IT who works at a very well-known dealership, so I figured I could trust him. But maybe his specialty is software? I don't know. :confused:

EDIT: I already troubleshoot my sound, and it keeps trying to do sound tests, which I cannot hear. It doesn't give me any other options.

#1 Anthemic, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Lazuri

I would've tried warranty first. You said it was only one month old and now this guy voided the warranty by opening the computer.

If this is the second time he's messed up the sound, I'm not sure I'd trust him. Either he specializes in software or desktops or maybe he's just not that good. A surprising amount of IT guys have no clue what they're talking about, because people who bring their problems to them are somehow even worse at it.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great... This sucks. I didn't even think of the warranty. Is there anyway they'll be able to tell that he opened my computer? Can he remove the epoxy?

4. Lazuri

Laptops tend to have a seal that breaks when you open it so they can tell. Some people can open it without leaving traces, but I dunno if this guy did that.

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I can ask him. I plan on taking it to the place I got it from. Maybe if I just tell them the sound isn't working and I don't know why? Because technically, I don't know why, lol.