1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big changes for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gaynonsense, Apr 23, 2017.

1. gaynonsense

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This one is for all of my Linux users out there. Have you heard the big news about Ubuntu? They're going to drop Unity and switch back to Gnome. 17.10 will ship with Gnome 3.26 (if memory serves correctly). I think it's a pretty crazy change, what are your thoughts?

2. Desertcat

The only version I ever used was Gnome.

I'm still trying to get it to install alongside Windows 10.
    I could on my Windows 7 laptop.

3. gaynonsense

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Windows 8 and beyond have made it much harder to easily dual boot with the introduction of things such as secure boot, fast boot, and Windows new shutdown system (I have no idea what they named it). That's really the big one in my opinion.

You can't disable their new system. In short, when you shut down the system, it actually just closes any running programs and then proceeds to hibernate the system processes to make booting faster. It's a nice feature, but unless you know how to do a complete shutdown (open the CMD and type "shutdown -s -t 00), you can't partition the drives from anywhere but in the windows system. It also prevents any non-windows system from accessing the files without a full shutdown.

Fast boot and secure boot aren't a problem. They both can be disabled within the BIOS.

tl;dr Microsoft loves to introduce technologies that make it harder to switch to anything but Windows.

4. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I heard the news. I never got into the Unity GUI anyway. I tend to like Gnome as it progressed.