1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Linux users here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Miaplacidus, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering how many EC members use Linux. I know for sure that four of us do:

Paul_UK (PCLinuxOS, I don't know the architecture)
    paul7836 (Ubuntu on x86-64)
    step49x (Xubuntu on x86)
    Me (openSUSE 10.2 on x86-64)

Anybody else?

2. Rette

I've been using Ubuntu linux for a while, and I have a semi-functioning Slack partition set up as well

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

x86 (it's an Intel Centrino Duo processor). In fact so far I have just been using the live CD sometimes. I need to get around to installing it properly but I would rather wait until our ADSL line is installed so I can get updates and packages more reliably. It will be set up as a dual boot with WinXP.

4. JSG

JSG Guest

I use Kubuntu on my laptop, but my main computer is an eMac.

5. Rette

forgot to mention my architecture is x86-64 (single-core AMD Turion)

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot my other computer!

The Polaris (my old desktop computer) runs Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" - x86.

7. Hydrogen

On my desktop I use Ubuntu 7.04 [x86], on my server Fedora Core 5[x86-64 x2], and on my laptop (which is what I am almost always on) Win. XP Pro.

Tyler has a MacBook Pro, and runs OSX/XP and Fedora Core 5 using Parallels.

8. GQMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had ubuntu on Wubi and Ubuntu is alright but I find Vista so much better. I couldn't Ubuntu to mount my Mass Storage Device so i could transfer files to it and the way you have to download software is idiotic. I mean whats the point of making up manually send stuff to a package loader. Which I never figured out so I uninstalled Ubuntu. I still want to try linux so I will try something else eventually.

9. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Welpers, I guess I'll chime in too.

I started off with Slackware back on version.. six or seven. That's when you could order up a couple of CDs everytime a distro made a major release, since I only had dialup. It worked quite well.. Friends were always amazed that I had my own home network and that I only had a dialup connection.

These days, my main computer is a MacBook running OS X, but I still use Linux a lot in the things I do. My main distro of choice for personal projects is Ubuntu, but I also use Debian and RedHat Enterprise a lot too for work.

Though, with some of the recent stuff coming out in FreeBSD, I'm starting to become a believer of that camp as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot the architectures too. Heh.

I've used Linux on things ranging from PowerPC and Sparc chips to AMD/Intel humdrum processors to Intel's Itanium beast. The Sparcs have been my favorite platform (mostly relating to the inclusion of a true serial console). I have yet to have the chance to run Linux on a DEC Alpha, but that line is certainly dead so I'm not sure it'd be at all worthwhile..