1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What anti-virus software do you use?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Paul_UK, Aug 12, 2007.

?

What anti-virus software do you use

Poll closed Aug 19, 2007.
  1. Don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. None

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Norton / Symantec

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. McAfee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. AVG (Grisoft)

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  6. eTrust (CA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Trend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kaspersky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sophos

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  10. NOD32 (Eset)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  11. Comodo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Avast

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  13. Bullguard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Just curious....

I tried to think of the most common ones, but have probably missed something obvious. If yours isn't listed, say here but don't vote, and one of us will add it to the poll (if there is room).

2. 24601

I use Avast! Antivirus. It was free and had good ratings on CNET. Does it work? I have no idea. It's caught 2 viruses, so I'd like to think it works to some extent. And I haven't had any problems since I got my new hard drive. So...

I have used (from your list) AVG (Grisoft) and eTrust (CA). I never had any problems with them, but that was back when I was reformatting every few months and trying out various free trials.

Oh and Norton/Symantec and McAfee. And BullGuard which isn't on your list. I think Norton home edition is really annoying, and never had anything past the free trial of McAfee. BullGuard was okay.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I've added Avast and Bullguard to the list.

http://www.virusbtn.com/index do regular tests and publish the results (though you can't read the full report for 6 months unless you're a member). A summary of the last 5 tests is here.

Eset NOD32 has more VB100 awards than any others, and not a single fail since 2002. It also doesn't slow the machine as much as many others. That's why we use it!

Another good site to check is http://www.av-comparatives.org/ where again NOD32 consistently does well.

I don't like Norton/Symantec at all - too bloated and unreliable. It does very well at the above comparative sites though.

4. I use a combination of Avira AntiVir and ZoneAlarm. They work fairly well together.
    I use Avira AntiVir for most of my virus-related problems and ZoneAlarm for my firewall, but each of them provides decent anti-virus protection.

Besides...both were free, and my subscription to Norton Antivirus ran out a long time ago...

(Oh. I don't think the programs are very well-known, so you probably don't have to add them to the list. Well, you can, but adding every anti-virus program to the list will most likely result in a very long list.)

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

ZoneAlarm is well known but it is a firewall not AV.

There's a limit of 15 items in a poll, and we are at about 12 or 13 already. I'll see what others are suggested over the next day or so, then finish off with an "Other" option.

6. ZoneAlarm does have anti-virus monitoring, but yeah...I guess it really doesn't classify as an anti-virus program.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It just monitors and tells you if it's out of date, the same as Windows does.

8. 24601

I'll look into the NOD32 -- I haven't found an AntiVirus that I've been truly happy with yet. But with your recommendation and solid marks on those sites, maybe I'll give it a try. They offer a free 30-day.

9. SpikySpice

I like Norton alot, but it's expired so I switch to McFee

and I also use F-ROT Anti Virus, which makes soem one laugh...

like this[​IMG]

10. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite has an integrated anti-virus (technology from Computer Associates). NOD32 detects lots of viruses, yeah, but it has an important problem many people I know (such as my friend Juan) have experienced. It detects as viruses programs which are not viruses - sometimes Windows components, and it deletes them, sometimes rendering programs and whole systems unusable. Juan had to reinstall Windows after using NOD32...

As a Linux user, I have ClamAV installed, monitoring Windows partitions. When I run Windows I use AVG.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have it on 15 PCs at work and 6 here (all WinXP), with no problems so far.

VirusBulletin won't give it a VB100 award if it detects any false positives in their tests, and NOD32 has had a constant run of VB100 awards since 2002.

Maybe Juan had infected system files, and NOD32 deleted rather than cleaned them? If he has infected system files that can't be cleaned a reinstall is needed anyway. By default NOD32 asks what you want to do with infected files. If you choose to delete infected files in the Windows folder it's rather asking for trouble.

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'll ask him. As of now I'm happy with AVG. But I might install NOD32 inside a virtual machine.

13. CrimsonThunder

14. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I use Norton but sometimes I think it doesn't do :***:

15. Pyro

My anti virus is a Mac OsX

16. Rette

On Windows? AntiVir.

On linux? Well, I have ClamAV, but it's not really necessary.

17. Choucho

I'm with you there. -_-

Before that we used McAfee

18. Torture

Torture Guest

I use avast! 4 Professional.

19. Torture

Torture Guest

When I first bought my computer in 2004 I had a year of Norton AntiVirus (which I thought was cool, at the time) but when the trial ran out and I installed Avast! I found loads of virus' that Norton just let right in. Waste of money buying Norton. :eusa_naug.

20. GuitarGirl1350

I use AVG.
    I will *never* use Avast! EVER again. My brother got on here to be a show off about how much of an *amazing* anti virus program he'd found.
    Long story short, he deleted my boot files.

Brilliant, eh??

I also have ZoneAlarm as a firewall with a bit of virus protection...