1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civilization V

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Geradeth, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Geradeth

I noticed in the "nostalgic games" thread that there are a few Civ players here, so...

Who here is excited for Civ V? I know I sure am!! Civ is almost the single most important reason I bought my fist computer. I just can't wait to get that 'just one more turn' feeling again! Anyone else?

2. Nixon

I'm very excited the only problem I have a mac so I have to wait a few months after the release date.

3. RaeofLite

Can't say I've played Civ. However, I am a fan of the Age of Empire series, Starcraft and SW: Galactic Battlegrounds. :slight_smile:

4. ANightDude

Hold the cannons here, (Teehee, civ nerd joke *cough*) they ARE making a 5th one?!?!?

5. No One

I play Civ IV. It's a good game. I'm partial to AOE but Civ is good too.

6. Geradeth

Oh, you don't know what you're missing!!! If you've got steam Civ III is only $5, and Civ IV is $20 ($40 if you get the 'complete' edition with all the expansions)

Indeed they are, here's a link:
    http://www.civilization5.com/

7. ANightDude

Bloody. Hell. *Dies*

8. NickT

I loved Civ IV! I didn't like Revolution 'cause it broke away from the Civ IV system. Seriously, it was constant war and it was FRUSTRATING!

9. ANightDude

Yeah, I did the "constant war" function in both Civ III and Civ IV and it was hell. Seriously. It was just frustrating beyond belief in so many ways, I just gave up. So I went back to regular playing, but still, I am NEVER doing that again.

10. Geradeth

From what little information that's been released it seems that combat has been one of the features they're really revamping for Civ V... maybe it'll be less frustrating for you this time...

I certanly like the idea that now that units wont stack it'll be more about strategy then pure numbers... oh, and range and seige units will actually have a couple panels of range this time!!

11. Nodnarb

I used to play Civ II all the time. It was probably my favorite computer game as a kid. I had Civ III as well, but I never got into it as much. I never bought IV (I think it came out about the same time as one of the Total War series games, which I love, so I spent the money on that instead), but I may have to give V a try.

12. RaRa

There's a 5th one coming??? I've played the 3rd one a little but I sucked so...yeah.

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really looking forward to Civ V--the previews look gorgeous. But I'm kinda worried about them taking out religion and espionage. As a friend and fellow CivFanatic has said, it seems like in many cases they are changing things for the sake of changing them, not because the change seems like it will make the game dramatically better.

14. Geradeth

Hmmm, I had not heard anything yet about removing features... But I think I won't even notice if the remove religion or espionage as I never really used either...

Then again, I don't know if I'll be able to believe anything I read on here today, seeing as it's April 1 and all...

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't use religion or espionage?! What do you do in the game? Just kill people?

And no, it wasn't an April Fool's joke.

16. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well some people say its almost impossible to win a game at high difficulty lvls by focusing on religion or on espionnage. I'm too weak to argue this though.

There's a really nice mod on civ4 called fall from heaven (just google it) for those who want to play a "new civ game" until the 5th comes. It takes much time to start winning some games but its very interesting and completly different.

17. NickT

I don't use espionage. It distracts me too much and it takes so long to move a spy to other continents just to have them fail a mission. And I get free religion first chance I can >> Shwedagon Paya ftw!

18. ANightDude

I never really used espionage, but seriously, are they really taking out religion? That was one of my favorite parts of the game!

19. Nixon

I loved religions, I wouldn't mind taking out corporations.

20. Geradeth

Well, espionage was a whole lot of work for practicaly nil reward, and my play style never benefited from using religion. The beauty of Civ is that there are so many different ways to play, just neither of those worked for me. (That's not to say that I will reveal my play style, as then counter-stratagies could be made :eusa_naug )