1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning music CD discs

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RaeofLite, Apr 22, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

...Argh. This is frustrating.

A while ago, I bought a large pack of Maxell CD-R discs to burn music to. They have 80 mins or 700MG storage available on them.

I bought this type in particular because my laptop ROM seems picky with the type of CD it likes to burn things too. These have worked in the past. I run Windows Media Player and basically drag and drop things onto the disc after I've clicked the "burn" tab at the top of the WMP program. And then click burn. It usually checks the files, copies, burns and then formats and finalizes the disc.

The past three discs (the entire package is about half way down now) have not burned properly. It says it finishes the disc but then I pop the disc into my car stereo or on another computer and it reads as if it's a blank disc. I have no idea why this is happening. Can anyone please provide possible insight as to why this is occuring? Thanks!

2. Aiken

Solution, do not use WMP to burn. Use a specialized burning software like NERO. WMP is just plain crappy.

3. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

that happened to me before unfortunatly i cant remember what i did to fix that. it has something to do with the setup of burning to disc.

4. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know much about wmp (exepted that it's a kinda bad software overall :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), but with most softwares you usually have to say what kind of disc you want to make before you start burning (audio, dvd, video game etc...), if you just drag and drop I guess the computer will just burn the cd and put files as if it was a usb key or flash memory storage thing. IMO thats what happening for you here, you're sure you do the same things that you used to do with your previous cd burning?

#4 Seags, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  5. kettleoffish

this. Don't use WMP for anything, it's utter gash. Even iTunes is considerably better.

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Only time I ever use WMP is for ripping as I have found its the best. Burning iTunes.

7. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, Itunes is far better for burning discs than WMP. I've also found that sound quality is a bit better burning using Itunes, and there is less of a gap between songs (WMP doesn't allow no gaps between songs I don't think.) Nero is good too. :slight_smile:

8. Jerr

I never had an issue with my WMP burning... (My burners messed up so that was the problem) BUT before that... my cd player was just picky.

From what you are saying, you've used it perfectly fine before and the discs have worked in your car before... just recently it has started to crap out? I'd TRY Nero and if that doesn't work then it is most likely your burner (or your discs.... although I don't see why it would be the discs.)

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I demand you retract that statement. iTunes is a big steamy pile of shit.

WMP will globally listen for media keys and change songs / pause accordingly, iTunes doesn't. It also makes absolutely no attempt to fit in on the Windows version.

WMP doesn't install any background processes, iTunes installs about 5, and makes it impossible to fully disable them.

WMP rarely leads to stability problems, iTunes has released shitty version after shitty version that crashes fairly common configurations.

WMP doesn't try to install other software on your computer, iTunes tries to forces Safari on your computer.

WMP lets you organize your library as you see fit, iTunes will move your music to how it sees fit.

10. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used wmp a lot and had some problems with it once i got too much music ("oh you want to add A picture to A album? then lets add it to 50% of your music library too!" héhéhéhéhé ; and some other craps), I switched to media monkey and I have to say its a much better software overall. Dunno about Itunes.

11. kettleoffish

I dunno how iTunes really is on PC so I can probably grant you most of those. On a Mac it works fine with media keys, it only has one background process, which is small, doesn't crash more than any other software I use and you already get Safari and Quicktime on a Mac anyways. As for the library thing, you can change that in the preferences.

Whatever you can say about iTunes (I'm not its greatest fan either), you can't deny that WMP is shit.

12. fallendream

For burning you can always use 'deepburner' - it's free and works perfect for me :slight_smile:
    Though WMP is pretty good at burning and such usually i occasionally get this problem on my dads computer.
    Go to computer and double click the disc and it'll go through some junk about reformatting.
    Follow it and accept changes, after it's formatted drag stuff to WMP and burn, fixes it here.

13. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Or you can all just use Winamp and disregard Itunes and WMP and obtain currency.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use iTunes to burn discs only if I'm burning a song I purchased straight from iTunes. Most of my songs are ripped from CDs, or from other sources, so in those cases, I use something else. I used to have a great program which was fantastic for working on segues and what not, but I've since lost it when my computer died. I now use Roxio, which at least is functional and has yet to give me any issues.

I never did like using WMP. Not sure why.

Lex