1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ubuntu

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Breakdown, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Breakdown

so i have ubuntu on my computer now (!)

i was just wondering if there's others on here that have this operating system?

and is there a way 2 get some window programs 2 work in ubuntu

2. Adam

Yes, use wine.
    sudo apt-get install wine

3. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I use fedora myself but the same goes for pretty much any linux distribution.
    Either use wine as suggested above, or run a virtual machine.

Wine (WINdows Emulator) often requires manual tweaking to get working properly but just google wine and the name of the software you want to run and you should get plenty of information.

Another option is to run a virtual machine, that is run a Windows operating system inside Ubuntu, using something like VMWare or VirtualBox.

I'm sure there are other people who can give much better information than me on these things.

Or the best solution (in my opinion) is to find an open source equivlant of the software you want to run, there is a lot of good stuff out there. Do you have specific programs in mind?

EDIT: Also you can dual boot windows and ubuntu if you want to

4. fallendream

Dual-booting, VMWare and Wine all worked for me back when i had ubuntu, in the end it was too much hastle thanks to my windows dependency. But good luck and yell if you need more help :slight_smile:

5. Breakdown

thanks, i installed wine

its working so far, so thats good.

thanks 4 the above answers

6. fallendream

Be wary some stuff doesn't work with wine (I.E some adobe software)

7. Breakdown

i think by the time i fully need most of the design adobe software i would of got an apple laptop, so im nt 2 worried about that right now

8. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I used to use Ubuntu until Windows Seven came out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Breakdown

i dnt like vista lol, so i want wither windowa 7 or windows xp, bt i gta wait 2 get windows 7 :***:

10. Find yourself some friends who use Linux (you may consider joining a LUG), mind your permissions, and don't panic; you'll do fine.

Just do remember that it's not Windows. Linux is an empowering and fun operating system, and the best way to use it is to use it like Linux. This may not make a whole lot of sense now, but it certainly will further along in your journey.

11. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arch user here :smilewave I started with ubuntu about four years ago. And I just installed a customized xubuntu on my parents computer. It was getting old and runs much better now.