1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Programmers Here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Swamp56, May 20, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have noticed that a large percentage of the programmers I deal with (including myself) is queer. That caused me to wonder what other members here have experience with programming, and what languages they tend to use (this includes scripting languages).

I use/know C++, PHP, C# (Visual and non-Visual), Java, and VB.NET.

2. ThePug

I'm taking classes at a community college for C++ related to video game design. I also manage a video game club website that was built using php/mysql. One of the student helpers in the class is also gay.

3. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Well my main subject at university is maths but I have done and am doing a fair bit of computer science.

I first started programming in QBasic (I think I also did some GW Basic where you had to number every line!) when I was about eight then moved on to Visual Basic in my early teens. I have also done a small amount of Fortran programming. The only languages I know pretty well are Java/C# from my computer science classes and Matlab/Octave which I have used in maths and physics classes. I know my way around a bash script as well as any linux user should.

Wow, I didn't know how may languages I knew.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope but I know some gay guys who likes to.

5. EddyT

I am learning PhP, VB.Net and C#

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I know PHP and that's it.

7. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I learning PHP, javascript, VB.net stuff like that.

8. SaturdaySaviour

I'm learning C++ in school and I will (hopefully) study computer science at university one day.

9. NickT

I'm going to take up computer programming in college. My high school classes sucked ass 'cause A) The teacher was terrible B) Frequently the programs wouldn't work due to his sucky teaching and C) A lot of the students took the classes to dick around on the computers, leading to group laziness and the teacher eventually just giving up halfway through the year.

But I've dabbled in BASIC, Python, and Java >.>

10. darkestknight

I love programming. I learned basic C++ when I was 14, and then much more time later in my college I learned C (which isn't too difficult once you know C++) and then assembly languages for Microchip PIC 16/18F series microcontrollers and basic Motorola 68HC11.

I'm gonna learn that 8086/8088 assembly books if I could. But I don't have the hardware to test with.

11. Apocalypte

Have a BSc in CS and am working on a masters. My preferred languages are Java and C++, and because of the heavily mathematical focus of my undergraduate thesis and my masters I've been using a lot of Matlab over the last 2 years. I've also dabbled in Ruby, Python, Objective-C (I am a Macwhore :grin: ), Scheme and a few others.

12. fallendream

I know HTML and understand CSS though i doubt they count.
    In my spare time (what little i have) i am learning JS, php and MYSQL.

I occasionally dabble in VB studio to make internet explorer skins out of boredom. Though an ape could do that.

13. Sylver

Hehe... it's what I do for a living... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: mostly web application development...

I'm very good at ASP, VB.NET and VB Script, HTML, CSS...

I'm good at JavaScript, SQL Server and TSQL, XML, RSS, machine language programming (mostly Motorola microcontrollers)...

I can get by with AJAX...

I'm learning ASP.NET, ADO.NET and LINQ and I look forward to being good at them soon! :icon_bigg

I suck at anything that starts with C --> C#, C++, Java :slight_smile:p), and I wish that PHP and MySQL would just go away... Why can't the whole world just love Microsoft?? :lol:

14. darkestknight

Just now a trip to Ikea, me and my ma walked past a clock rack. She asked, "Don't you buy anymore funky clocks, we have tons of them!"

I told her, "Meh, those clocks, I can make a funkier one than all of these!"

She: "Ok, I want to see how you can do it!"

If I have the free time, I will really make one, by just a $5 microcontroller, a $2 RTC (for non-tech junkies - Real Time Clock) chip (when I rip out the battery, it still keeps the time running!) and a cheap CR2032 battery from the nearest pharmacy.

Display? No worries. Might be getting the big-ass HD44780 (dot matrix character LCD) display and try to manipulate the display so that it shows BIG numbers.

Wow, I love programming, up to the time I could have make things at homE! :grin:

15. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an EEng by trade, and have done some C, C++ and ASM (for micro controllers) in university. For personal projects I mainly use AutoIT the scripting language.

16. SlickyPants

Does writing several cassette tapes worth of mad libs in BASIC on an old Coleco ADAM count as being a programmer? I thought not, wow what a lonely child I was.

17. Techcompu2

I know HTML, basic c++, hexadecimal, and binary. does that count as a programmer?

Edit: what I am saying here is that I can read it easily. writing and typing it take a little longer, but I can do it

18. Sylver

So apparently now I'm being forced to learn C#... :dry:

:help:

19. TroubledRyan

I'm in classes for it but I no longer have an interest in it.

20. Corny

Corny Guest

yeah, there are two programming languages in your list :wink: