1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Password = FORGOTTEN

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Davey, May 28, 2010.

1. Davey

Alright wall it seems I have forgotten my password that runs my Windows Vista computer. I have this one though but there are things I need off the other computer. I cannot re-install windows or do anything that involves the administrative profile. If someone can help me that would be great!

2. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Try the steps listed here.

3. fallendream

Can you access a profile?
    If so boot cmd.exe (type run into the search box, click first option then type in cmd.exe)
    Then google the right commands for making yourself an administrator on that account.
    Then use those admin controls to unblock the other account.

4. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

5. Davey

thanks i'll try some of these things/

6. Zumbro

If none of those work, download the Ubuntu OS and put it on a CD using your other computer. If you insert the disc on startup, (you might have to interrupt the boot-up), you can "try out" Linux and get your data from there, and likely find your vista password as well. You should probably find a linux-savvy friend to help with this one though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Davey

:-(
    i have been unsuccessful so far. I really don't want to have to reboot my whole computer. I still have information on there and things i would like.

8. Zumbro

If you have't yet, you should download ubuntu (free), and insert the disc before startup on the laptop (you might have to interrupt the boot, but I don't think so). the linux screen should pop up asking if you want to install it or not. It also gives you the option of "trying" the OS, without actually losing any data. This should allow you to wander around your windows files and (somewhere) find your password or how to change it. I'm not god with linux, but I imagine once you get on your computer you can find instructions online as to where the data is.