1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by starfish, Jun 24, 2010.

1. starfish

Who hear prefers listening to music through headphones?

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro for about 8 years now.
    http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_dj-headphones_004974

One the recomendation of a friend that is an audio engineer I picked up a set of Beyerdesign DT 770 Pro

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...o-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-pro.html

I really enjoy enjoy listening through headphone. I like the immersion in sound and the isolation that it creates. Plus I turn it up as loud as I want.

My next planned purchase is a headphone amp and then a turntable.

2. VampConspiracy

I like listening to music with headphones... WHEN THE WIRES DON'T BREAK EVERY THREE MONTHS.

I have earbuds for my laptop and another pair for my phone. I had to get wireless headphones for my desktop last year - completely sick and tired of replacing headphones.

3. djt820

Oh I see what you did there!

4. Jerr

If I had the extra cash.... Bose head phones..... the over the ear ones... gah.... it is like sex for the ears. Not only that... immersion is amazingly awesome when ALL sound is blocked out except what you are wanting to listen/pay attention to.

5. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

oh damn girl you so crazy

Anyway, a few months ago I picked up the Sony MDR-V6 Studio Headphones(I would have got the later 7506 models, but they costed more and had less frequency response), and I was impressed with the way they sounded. All of the frequencies from low end to high are pretty damn covered as stated and the dynamic range was pretty satisfactory. Was sort've upset with the noise cancellation properties, though that really doesn't present itself as too much of a problem. Allegedly for college I'm to get some Sennheiser-brand monitoring headphones, although I've never tried anything from their brand before.

I wouldn't say I prefer headphones over speaker systems, but they are good for the occasional monitoring and listening late at night when you have extremely antisocial neighbours who act like they stare at brick walls all day. I'm always going to prefer full Circumaural headphones over earphones though, earphones are either as muddying as all hell or incredibly tinny(or at least the cheap ones, in-ear ones have sometimes been okay).

6. AlyssWonderland

Story of my life right there.

Haha I thought I was the only one who noticed that!

But yeah, I need headphones. I have some weird OCD thing going on where I can't play music or anything outloud so other people can hear it, I need headphones. And I can't share headphones with people either. I don't know why though.

7. Totally. I'll just lay in bed for hours listening to music on my computer with my awesome headphones. I got a really sweet pair for $20 from Best Buy. They kick major ass at blocking out sound except for the music. I couldn't live without my headphones.

8. Connor22

I had some really good ones, I can't remeber the make, they were a bit tinny but they let me pump it up REALLY loud adn nobody would notice but I used them too mucha nd the wire snapped, then I got new ones off my brother. Again I've no idea what the make is but I know they are black with silvery bits on the buds and very good for listening to but I can't listen to them as loud as I used to without people hearing oh well hopefully I can get some new ones later that let me listen to my music in peace

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to use the earbuds that came with my iPod, but as anyone who has used those knows, the sound quality is just awful. I honestly forgot that my songs had bass until I upgraded to new headphones. Once those broke, I went to the local convenience store and lucked out and bought some Philips in-ear headphones, which have amazing sounds quality for earbuds. Now I swear by them.

10. adam88

You post on Head-fi don't you? :grin: Sorry about your wallet. :grin:

I'm a bit of a headphone nerd. I too have a pair of HD280s which I use for microphone monitoring. For listening at home, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s and a pair of Grado SR325is (visible in my avatar :slight_smile: ). On the go, I use a set of inexpensive JVC FX-66 Air Cushions on the subway or a pair of Grado SR80s for walking. My other phones are a set of vintage Koss Pro4AAAs and another vintage one with leather earpads whose make and model I can't remember.

----------

Which is why all my headphones are pricey as hell except for the ones I take with me on the subway every day (JVC Air cushions). When a run-in with a subway turnstile took out my $150 pair of Denon D1001s through cord trauma, I resolved to never spend more than $40 on a pair of portables.

#10 adam88, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  11. Rikudo

I have a pair of Skull Candy Heavy Bass Headphones. They are my sunshine.

12. djt820

Until they break.

13. Rikudo

It's my second pair. But I got a replacement policy on them and I get them replaced if they break.

14. RainbowJay

Oooh, I have those too! I got them for about 10 bucks, easy to replace. The wires are done really badly on these sound-proof headphones, so they break very quickly, and I decided to stay off the awesome Bose ones ($100 and broken now) until they fix their wiring :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I enjoy headphones just about as much as blasting music in the house to annoy my parents. (!)

15. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I prefer headphones but they always get fucked up.

16. starfish

I've decided to go with a DIY kit for the headphone amp. I am using the Oatley Electronics K272 Tube Preamp/Headphone Driver.

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com...d=805&osCsid=5743a7cf8c97f24bc92e8e88a4dedc80

I am also going to upgrade the capacitors to ELNA SILMIC caps and replace the potentiometers with an ALPS RK27.

So far I have avoided spending too much time over at head-fi. I've been spending time over at diyaudioprojects.com. Looks like they have a pretty knowledgeable member base.

17. adam88

The DIYers at Head-fi are pretty knowledgeable, too, but while I can tell a capacitor from a resistor I couldn't begin to tell you what each of them actually do, so truth be told I bought my amp from Headroom. :grin:

Have fun with your project!

----------

Ha! I owned a pair of Skullcandy Titan in-ears. They sounded pretty good, actually, but the cable broke right in half at the volume pod. :frowning2: I'll stick to my JVCs for subway ipod listening.