1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple's Magic Box

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by xequar, Sep 12, 2007.

1. xequar

So I just bought an iPhone the other day right after the price drop.

Having played with it for the past couple of days, I think I can officially say that it's possible to just plain buy magic. I mean, it's this little box that can surf the net no problem, is a better iPod than the iPod I had, can check my email, the weather, YouTube, and other stuff, can size the screen to whatever size you want with a touch, and everything syncs up right through iTunes. Oh, AND IT MAKES CALLS, TOO!

Needless to say, I'm rather smitten with the magic box. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has one, so let's hear those testimonials!

2. davo-man

Im really excited about one, but theyre not over here in australia yet (grumble) ... hopefully Ill be getting one not too far away tho...

Ive had my ipod for over two years now and i LOVE it so if its any better than my ipod, then i guess it has got to be magic!

3. JR

JR

I bought right after the price drop, too and it totally fells like a handful of magic. I went to lunch with someone who hadn't heard of an important website for his business. It was so much fun to just show him the site at the table. He looked like we had just spilled magic on the table!

I've had the same crappy freebie phone for 5 years and decided there was no point to change until something came out that could simply go online and check emails. So last night my boyfriend loaded like a million songs on to the iPod part which (DUH!) I had completely forgotten about with all of the other features.

Magic. It is magic I tell you!!! You are sooooooo right! :eusa_danc

4. winter89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i really wish i could get an iPhone, but i just got a new cell phone cuz my old one was a piece of crap and cant afford a new phone... but at least my service is Cingular/AT&T!

5. paul7836

*refrains from AT&T bashing for now*

And Apple bashing

Yes. That company with the "You dont need to know" policy.

6. waitingsucks

yea i can't wait till it comes out in aus

7. Kimi

It won't come out in Japan because iPhone is based on 2G but that service is no longer available in Japan. We are currently using 3G and moving to 4G.

But if it was available in Japan I would love to have one!!

8. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol yeah the 2G thing is putting me off getting one when it comes out here in Aus. Currently I'm saving my money for a phone which I find more personally appealing. The sony ericsson W960. 8D

It won't be as expensive as the 8GB version of the iPhone.. And it has 3G, 3.2MP camera (autofocus too), touch screen, BUTTONS!! (I prefer to have physical buttons to press.. Easier to sms people under the table in classes), and it has 8GB by default. None of this having to pay extra for more storage!

Plus Sony Ericsson have had WAY more experience in the whole merging a phone/mp3/pda for many years now.

=/ Apple really just put a new coat of paint on the idea by putting it on a touch screen interface using mac OSX.
    I'd much rather be able to run 3rd party apps on my phone thank you very much. xD

Of course the iPhone's touchscreen is a fantastic little thing.. But it definitely is not the best phone out there.

[/end slight technical ramble]

9. kuzmaster

Seeing it comes out here in Australia in the latter next year (i think) it will probably be 3G by then. After all, Jobs did say that he is expecting to launch a 3G one sometime next year

You 'obviously' havnt used an iphone then. Like the others before have said, its just like.. magic. Its really the multi-touch interface that sets it apart. Without it it wouldnt sell as great as it has. I think the key selling factor of the iPhone is its simplistic UI, just like Mac OS X.

And, technically you 'can' run 3rd party apps on the iphone, but you just need to jailbreak it and use a bit of hackery...

Of course the iPhone's touchscreen is a fantastic little thing.. But it definitely is not the best phone out there.

As soon as it came out in US ive always wanted one, but now that the iPod Touch has came out... im not quite sure...

10. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kuzmaster, I haven't used an iPhone. But I have seen videos and all, and of course the multi-touch interface is really neat. It's just the lack of other things (good camera, removable battery, buttons, 3G etc) which turn me off getting it.

Of course the second generation iPhone I would highly consider getting, as Apple would be further in the phone game by then.

And I prefer not to hack my phones so I don't void warranty lol.

11. azurelover14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I Want an apple laptop

12. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apple do produce very nice looking products.. But the problem is they're so overpriced. When researching for my new PC I thought of getting a Mac, but I specced up two systems, both identical (screen size 'n all) and the apple was like $2900 and the PC was $1800. Guess which one I went for.. :dry: If it wasn't that expensive I so would've gotten a Mac.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

And look at the price of spare parts.

£50 for a new little battery to back up the date and time etc... On a PC that would have been under £5.

£300 for a logic board.... A system board for a Dell laptop is under £100.

So the old Apple PowerBook I use (just for testing websites display and work OK on Safari and other Mac browsers) forgets the time when it is turned off and has one of the RAM modules held in with a piece of folded cardboard wedged in under the keyboard (the socket is broken).

I think they are exploiting their position somewhat.

14. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you think Apples only make up around 2% of the IT market? Even Linux has more users!

Yup.. And the only reason their iPods, iPhone and whatnot sell so good is because they've been marketed as 'trendy' and 'cool' 'must have' items.
    The new iPods feel so CHEAP! I had a look at the new nano and classic and they were just so... Plastic-like and flimsy. I prefer my walkman phone which has a 24 karat piece of gold on the back lol.

And talking about that.. Apple were not the first to combine the whole phone/multimedia player. Sony Ericsson have been doing it for years now with their Walkman "W" series phones.

But seriously, Apple overprice for what they give so badly. :dry: I would only pay the price of an 80GB iPod Classic if it included stuff like an FM Tuner, voice recording, and maybe a bluetooth attachment.

Meh. My 2 cents.