1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... Linux

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Mitchell

How many of you are linux users?

I started out when I Was 9 using Linux. I used Mandrake (now Mandriva), then graduated to Redhat Linux. They eventually started charging for Redhat Linux, so I switched to Fedora. I now run Linux Mint... it comes with everything right out of the box.

I have multiple computers. My PC computers run Linux Mint, while my Mac computers run Mac OSX.

I'm writing this message from my HP Mini 110 Netbook running Linux Mint. I upgraded it, put 2GB of RAM in it..

What do you all think?

Mitchell

2. VampConspiracy

Both of my computers have dual-boot between Windows and Linux.

I first tried out Gentoo on an (even then) relatively-old box about six years ago. When I say "tried," I mean "I went back to Windows to find another distro after four days of compiling." You have to be an ultra-super-[​IMG]ing micromanager to want to use Gentoo. I don't feel like compiling everything for my system for two years for an infinitesimal performance boost.

I ditched that junk and tried Debian. I like Debian, and I would definitely install it again. Back when I tried it, it was a fixer-upper as far as the sound architecture was concerned, what with aRts not agreeing with esd not agreeing with ALSA not agreeing with... [​IMG] But I liked fixing up the mess and using it.

I have Kubuntu installed on my machines now, mainly as a hobby OS. It is based on Debian, but with the "fixer-upper" part... fixed. I use it to play around, mess with, and otherwise try out Linux and Linux applications.

Being a PC gamer, I am more often booted into Windows (WINE, I HATE you!), but the occasional boot into Linux refreshes and cleanses the mind. :slight_smile:

I haven't developed for Linux yet, but I'm sure it won't be long until I start.

#2 VampConspiracy, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. kettleoffish

I've got the newest Ubuntu installed on my tablet laptop, but I'm yet to really use it.

4. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use Ubuntu. Before that I tried several distros years ago but none of them really worked.
    I only ever use Windows if I'm using a public computer in a library or something. It's so slow I can't stand it anymore.

5. theJosephDean

If I could put Ubuntu 10.4 into a human form, I'd sex it. xD

I installed it on a previously-used laptop (if only to finally eradicate Vista from all my machines), and I have a netbook that dual-books XP and Ubuntu 9.10 Remix. (Then I have Windows 7 on my current laptop and desktop). I plan to dual-install Ubuntu on my desktop as well at some point in the future.

6. george678

I have used Linux Ubuntu but personally I prefer Window's

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I use Linux on my netbook (Xubuntu.)

I love Linux, great operating system once you get used to it.

I use Windows Seven on my PC. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I tried Ubuntu but didn't really care for it. I've used Fedora for a couple of years now and haven't looked back. I'm quite a fan of Arch linux as well but am a bit too lazy to spend time getting it running properly.

Being someone who likes a bit of control over how my computer works, linux makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than windows ever did.

9. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I'm actually downloading Fedora 13 as we speak.

10. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Certainly I think Linux can be a fun thing to play around with, and a useful skill to learn.

Certainly it has a lot of applications in Server, embedded, and development fields

Certainly it does provide competition in the market.

That said I find it can be extraordinarily frustrating as a desktop OS, particularly Ubuntu which abandons the OS version after 6 months. Also Linux is frequently pushed as "breathing new life into an old computer", yet I've found on low end machines (PIII 256MB RAM), the performance of main stream distros terrible compared to Windows XP and in some cases even Windows 7.

For that reason all my computers run either WindowsXP or Windows 7. My netbook (EeePC) shipped with a terrible version of Xandros. I put on a custom tweaked version of WindowsXP within an hour of ownership and it still runs like a dream two years later.

Also the Linux "community" can sometimes be so unbelievably fucking annoying that it gives a bad name to all the good users. "LOLZ M$ Winblowzzzzzzz crashes BSOD ballmer throwing chairs, Windows is so bloated, UAC is so annoying", etc etc.

#10 Kenko, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  11. Mitchell

I recommend trying a variety of distros and seeing what you like.

I, myself, like Mint. I've tried many distros, Ubuntu, debian, redhat, fedora, gentoo, xubuntu, kubuntu, mandrake, mandriva... you name it, i've likely tried it...

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have used Linux (specifically Ubuntu Gnome) in the past, and I like it. The problem is that a lot of the applications I use suck on Wine, and the programming language I mainly use has no support with Linux (ASP.NET in C#).

13. Mitchell

That's very understandable... getting used to Linux, for me, took some time... now I program in Java and PHP...

14. Words

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, there is an open source and cross platform implementation of C# .NET that you might be interested in.
    http://www.mono-project.com
    Check it out if you haven't already. Developing cross platform is always great.

15. starfish

I remember the 2.0 Kernel being a big deal. So yeah I have been dealing with Linux for awhile.

I work with Linux a lot at work. I also have a few desktops running Fedora, and I am running Fedora on my HTPC.

I don't remember when it was, must have been 2001 or 2002, I built an embedded Linux system and the whole thing fit onto to a 8MB compact flash card. That was quite the project as I had to compile everything with static linking. IIRC I did not have enough space to put glibc on there, so any new apps I wanted I had to compile then so they did not use external libraries.

When my MacBook Pro goes casters up, I plan to replace it with a ThinkPad running Fedora linux.

16. Blondie

Blondie Guest

After 6 months of spy-ware viruses and crashes I turned around and said if it finds my printer I am going to use it that is when I started using Ubuntu linux and I have never looked Back Its also a big deal money wise to me as I don't have to Pay for all the software I need just a WB Office suite and accounting program thats it thats all I need and its all free
    :eusa_clap

17. Twilight

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only major problem I have seen or that would bother me if I had this problem is the fact that sometimes you cannot find compatible drivers for your hardware. I like how little space Linux takes up and how little RAM the OS uses by its self (depending on distro.) But overall I really like, from personal experience using Mac, Windows, and Linux, that I like it the best of the three.

18. adam88

I had a Knoppix live disc ages ago (2005ish?) to try out the whole Linux experience and I liked the amount of customization that KDE gave me over how everything looked. Other than that, Windows was just more useful to me, and OSX even more so. *shrugs*

19. Mitchell

Yeah...

I have a mac, a linux computer, and I have a PC running windows vista... although my mother's computer broke so she had me move it to the family room so that she could use it.

The linux computer is overall my favorite.

20. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I just ordered Fedora 13 on a 2gb flash drive it will be here in 3-5 days cant wait if you are Linux savvey and know what you want check out http://www.osdisc.comfor all your distro needs great prices(where else can you get a os disc for around 1.85)no joke around fast i get get caught off guard when the discs get here will let you know how it goes