1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking a laptop; down to a Macbook and Sony

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Swamp56, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

For anyone who saw my last thread dealing with a laptop, I decided to get rid of the HP.

Anyway, I've been researching and I'm now down to 2 laptops. I'm at a stalemate and have been having trouble figuring out which laptop I should pick. These 2 are:

Sony Vaio VPCF12KFX/B
    - Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz
    - 6Gb DDR3 1066MHz RAM
    - nVidia GeForce 330M w/1Gb dedicated memory
    - Full HD Display
    - Blu-ray Reader/Writer
    - Windows 7
    - $1589.99 (before student discount of $79.50)

Macbook Pro 15-inch
    - Intel Core i5 @ 2.4GHz
    - 4Gb DDR3 1066MHz RAM
    - nVidia GeForce 330M w/512Mb dedicated memory
    - Mac OS X Snow Leopard
    - $1799.99 (before student discount of $100)

In terms of computing power, the Sony wins by far. I accept that. The problem is that I have an attachment to Mac OS X. I like the fact that it is built on Unix from FreeBSD, and I find the UI much more pleasing and easier to deal with. The problem is that I do a large amount of programming in C# with the ASP.NET MVC framework, which is a Microsoft language. This means that I would have to either use bootcamp or Parallels to install Win 7 (Mono project, the only real Mac C#/ASP.NET compiler doesn't support LINQ yet).

Of course, the case is also another pro of the Macbook; it is aluminum and extremely sturdy. The nasty thing is that the Sony is cheaper even though it far exeeds the physical specs of the Macbook.

I primarily use my laptop for programming, watching movies, browsing the internet, and playing video games. Now that Valve has released Steam for Mac and converted all of their games to work with the Mac, which OS I use for gaming isn't an issue.

Anyway, I wanted to get the opinions of some of the other EC computer nerds :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

#1 Swamp56, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  2. jonny

get the mac you wont regret it

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I don't think I'll regret either :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . I did own a Macbook Pro 13-inch for about a year, so I know exactly what I'll get with the OS. It's just that the hardware is a lot better in the new lineup.

4. jonny

yup well it never hearts to spring for the i7 they do give additional discounts. i have the last gen 17". its hurts me physically to say my laptop is outdated lol. things are only getting better now. with the new os coming next year and maybe ilife my years end. dude just get it you know you want it. if gaming is your prob steam crossed over plus you can always do boot camp.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Sadly, I can't afford the i7. Even if I could, I would never pay more than $2000 for a laptop :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . The main problem I have has nothing to do with gaming. It is the fact that I'm spending $1800 (after tax) on a laptop to escape Windows, and I'll still have to make use of Windows 7 due to the programming language I use for work and for personal use.

6. jonny

i know that sucks i really hate windows. well then the one you showed at first should be fine for you. well you can always get a bootleg windows and install it on bootcamp, then if your school give upgrades. upgrade it before it can authorize it. thats what i did. what your major, im switching from aerospace to computer engineering. i was wonderng if you had any advice?

7. kettleoffish

I'd get the Mac. They are more expensive, but I feel that, for the laptop models anyway, the superior hardware design makes up for the lower specs. A lot of people forget that there is more to making a good laptop than powerful components. You don't need to splash out and buy Parrallels either by the way, there is a free and little known alternative from Sun called VirtualBox, which is perfectly good.

8. starfish

I recently got work to buy me an i7 MacBook Pro. I think it is a 2.66Ghz. It screams, I am very happy with it. The reason that I upgraded is that my old one only support 4GB of RAM, I was constantly running it out of memory. So what ever you go with make sure it supports at least 8GB of RAM.

While I like using a Mac I'm not sure I would buy another one. I've been using a Mac since the early 90s and I'm just not sure it is worth the price premium anymore. My next personal laptop will be a Lenovo ThinkPad running Fedora Linux.

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My desktop computer, that I typically used for gaming, has only 3Gb and it's fine for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . The laptop I'm trying to sell has 6Gb, and I've never used more than 1/3 of that. The compilers I use don't take up much memory, and neither do the applications I use (for the most part).

Most newer laptops support memory expansion, though I don't see the need for more memory in the near future.

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Another plus for Mac from me. One of the Macs I have here in the house is still running on its first install of OSX when it was shipped! Its about 3-4 years old now. And its still running like it was first booted yesterday. :slight_smile:

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The Sony has better specs, all around. It will last longer, Sony Vaio are very reliable.

It has an OS that is very reliable.

Also, don't use the "Macs don't get viruses!" excuse because that is no longer true. In fact, Macs are very easy to infect with viruses and to hack, easier than Windows Seven. This is because Apple still has their old security sequences from Mac OS 5. It's very insecure now that more and more viruses are being released for them daily. That is why there are now regulated Anti-Virus programs for Macs.

Get the cheaper one, it's better. Just because a Mac is more expensive, that doesn't make it better. You're just pay a few hundred dollars for the apple logo on the back anyways.

12. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I beg to differ! I sold on my old Macbook Pro and it was over 5 years old. In laptop years that old! Was in fully working order too! Just dents and scratches from wear! :grin: Next-door neighbour had a Vaio lasted 3 years of light home use. xD Those Mac AVs are crap and useless lol. Im still confident that mines not gonna get anything anytime soon! Also OS 10.6 is farrrr more stable than was 7 is and windows 7 is a fairly stable OS.

13. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I have a 10 year old PC laptop that still works fantastic.

Sure, it's running Windows 98, but it works.

14. kettleoffish

I have a Mac from 1998 running OSX Tiger but that's not really relevant is it...

edit: I also have a PC laptop from 1994 running Windows 95, so as to be unbiased.

15. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Newer PCs dont last like they used to. They are all made on the cheap. Sony ones you can buy the same for less. You are buying the sony brand thats all.

16. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Actually, Vaio's are made out of very sturdy material. My mom has one of the first Sony Vaio's and it runs fine and we've never had a problem with it.

17. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I still stand if someone wants a computer with minimal fuss and headache. Macs are the way forward. If my dad can work it with out asking for help then its a easy thing to use. xD

18. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Actually, no, Macs are good for people interested in art. That includes designing all the way to movie production. But other than that they're not any different from a PC besides the OS.

This would be true if Windows 7 wasn't so fantastic. Windows XP and Vista sucked compared to any Mac OS or Linux OS. But Windows 7 is pure win.

I mean really. What is someone who occasionally going to type a paper and just browses the web notice between the two? Absolutely nothing.

If you're just looking for a good way to keep track of papers, and just surfing the web, playing to occasional game, get the Vaio.

If you're going to be editing images, video, designing, and etc, get the Mac.

But you won't notice any difference (except the price) if you don't need them for specific use.

And yes, all of the Mac's programs like Photoshop and iMovie work on PCs. They just take forever to open up and crash 80% of the time. So if you need those, get the Mac.

And I know I have repeated myself about 5 times in this message alone. lol

19. I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in 2007 and I'm very pleased with it. I don't think I'd ever get any computer other than a Mac again. I have an attachment to OS X now too. I take my laptop with me everywhere and it's suffered some pretty bad falls and it's still working very well.

#19 boundbysymmetry, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  20. Blondie

Blondie Guest

I would have to say the Sony