1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP desktop monitor problem :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Smiley1123, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Smiley1123

Today I went out and bought myself an HP computer for some gaming, along with lots of photo editing. When I took it out and it said to lie it on a flat surface and to put your hand at the base and pull up the screen with your other hand. for some reason my screens not popping up. I feel so stupid...i'm usually so good at the "techie" stuff. is there a switch or button that im missing? or maybe the screen is just broken? :frowning2: if anyone has any suggestions that'd be awesome. thanks!

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have an HP monitor as well. It's hard as hell to open, and I struggled with it a couple times.

3. djt820

My hp monitor just broke the other day. xD

4. Techcompu2

I will say this about HP monitors, if it has a glowing blue power button, expect it to quit working at some point. ours, and a friends quit working by turning on for a sec, then going black.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Mine has been going strong for about a year, and I've had no problems. It has a blue power button that lights up on the underside.

6. Techcompu2

ours was the same way. we had a matching computer that had the same style power button, and it outlasted our monitor for a couple years

7. Smiley1123

Ok after a lot of pushing and frustration I finally got it open (in fact I'm typing on it right now)

I really hope that the blue power light underneath doesn't give out anytime soon (or ember light when its off) I like it as a "nightlight" when I sleep :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Techcompu2

the power button worked fine for us, it was the rest of the screen that stopped working. but maybe yours will work longer than ours did :slight_smile:

9. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a vague description of the monitor.

Anyways, I have an older HP monitor (6 years old) and many years ago (3? 4?) the inverter suffered a very common capacitor failure where the monitor would turn on and off repeatedly. For reference the power light is green. It is possible to very carefully get the monitor to stay on if you baby it (warm it up with no signal before applying an all white signal).

I got it out of the computer garbage heap at my university, where many identical monitors ended up when their capacitor failed. Supposedly it's a $2 fix, but I can't be bothered.

10. Techcompu2

true it is vague, but there isn't much else to describe it off the top of my head. not without looking it up for the exact one.

in any case, ours would turn on when you plugged it in, then after 3 seconds, the screen went black, and the power button started lighting up in a strange way (not flashing, but randomly blipping/looked like a mix of some of the transitions found in powerpoint)

11. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

HP has problems.

My HP Mini Netbook's screen just fell off randomly. All the screws came out from opening and closing it.

Why have a netbook that's going to break from opening and closing it? Now I have to go find a place that will fix it for cheap money because I am too afraid to do it myself, I have to take the entire thing apart just to screw in the screen again. :|

But that's my problem..not yours..:frowning2: