1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old school nintendo games making a comeback

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by factwithinfiction, Jul 26, 2010.

1. factwithinfiction

I haven't seen a lot of threads about all the games presented at this years E3 so I'm gonna make a post about it. I've noticed that a lot of old school games from SNES and N64 are coming back some but not limited to:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS)
    007 Goldeneye (Wii)
    Kid Icarus (3DS)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

I'm pretty sure there are more that I'm not thinking of but who else is pretty excited for some these titles? Personally Goldeneye and DKC returns are the ones I'm focusing on the most because they're the ones I played the most. I'm really curious how they're going to do this without Rare but I'm glad they're at least giving us a shot to relive our childhood.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Are they simply porting the games with a modified control scheme and nothing else changing? Or are they going to go the Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes route, where they improve the graphics and add in new items and/or techniques that have been added into the series in games since? Or will they go the Metroid: Zero Mission route, where they add in all of the above things, as well as new content to expand the game? Any way, if Ocarina of Time is coming to the Wii, that makes me quite excited.

3. adam88

Ocarina of Time isn't "Old School", you young whippersnappers you. "The Legend of Zelda" and "Zelda II: Link's Adventure" are what we would call Old School. :grin:

(Or we can go back to Pitfall on the Atari 2800. Or Tennis for Two, if you want to get pedantic)

4. fallendream

I played the Zelda series untill Windwaker when i couldn't get into it, and the second Zelda sucked majorly compared to the first :|
    Secondly, they shouldn't remake Ocarina of Time, sure i'm gonna try and get it at some point (i have no good game shops nearby) but compared Majoras Mask it was nowhere near as challenging.
    Thirdly, if they mess this up like they did with the pokemon remakes - i don't want fancy graphics and what not, i want a decent game on a new console :dry:
    Fourthly (i don't think i've ever ranted this far :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) they need to port flicky from the genesis.

5. Lebowski45

Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye were the best games ever........maybe I'm just nostalgic, but all these new games simply can't compare to the sheer awesomeness of some of the older games

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    agreed, although it is one of the best of the series

7. Hoppip

Ocarina of Time doesn't have to come back, it was already back to begin with.

SNAP SNAP.
    /me rides into the sunset.... sexily.

8. Gaetan

Re-releases don't excite me. I still own all of my old systems and games. If I want to play Goldeneye, I plug in the N64. If I want to play Zelda 1, I plug in the NES. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Really?? they can worth good money.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when are we gonna get that resident evil 2 remake?

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Zelda 1 and 2? Now those are just old (Remember that "generations" within the gaming world tend to last only a few years; the fact that the NES is four generations old certainly makes its games old.)

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its dangerous to go alone take this wooden sword.

13. factwithinfiction

Hahahaha that is very true. I am a SNES baby so old school for me is really Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Pokemon Blue/Yellow.

And Gamer Am I: Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong Country, and Goldeneye are all new games. Goldeneye is a remake but it almost looks like a new game with new features (and unfortunately Daniel Craig will be Bond, not Pierce Brosnan =/). Ocarina of Time is just a rerelease I doubt there will anything new for this game.

Ocarina of Time and Kid Icarus are going to be released in the new Nintendo 3DS coming out next year I believe

14. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I think if they should be remaking any old school nintendo game it should be "Super Metroid". That game is one of the best period.

15. jazzrawr

That's because N64 was the BOMB.
    :grin:

16. SlickyPants

I'm going to derail this thread for just a moment...

This isn't means as a correction (I'm guessing you meant Atari 2600) but I just thought I'd give all those young whippersnappers a fun little bit of obscure Atari trivia. (I'll admit I'm a bit young to have grown up playing the 2600)

In North America Atari made a Sears Tele-Games branded version of the 2600 called the "Video Arcade." There was an iteration called the Video Arcade II and in Japan it was called the Atari 2800. The Video Arcade II/Atari 2800 was unique from other versions of the 2600 in that it had four controller ports instead of 2 and the controllers that came with it were a combined joystick and paddle.

[​IMG]

Back to the original topic...

I'm not particularly thrilled with the re-release of old games. Sure they're great games but I'd rather just fire up the N64, SNES or NES (or even the Atari 2600) and play it with the original controller than dish out more money for a game I already have. There would be an exception and that is if they improved upon or expanded the game in some way. Like being able to play Goldeneye multiplayer over the Internet.

I do understand the appeal though to someone who may not have had a particular game or may have sold off his/her old system/games to pay for the next generation.

17. Sylver

That would be awesome if they brought back the original NES Legend of Zelda on the Wii.. somehow that game managed to suck and rule at the same time!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Twas the start of a franchise! Long live Zelda!! :thumbsup:

I'm half joking though.. I'd rather wait for the new Legend of Zelda scheduled for next year..

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a huge nintendo fan. Love their philosophy and the games they make. They seem timeless compared to other games. I'd love to see them release anthologies of all versions of the one canon of games... like one with all versions of the smash brothers series, or with all versions of mario, etc... I love a bit of posterity

19. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to see a remake of Bomberman from the Turbografx.

20. factwithinfiction

Well actually some of the games aren't just rehashes a lot are sequels really. But in the case of Ocarina of Time, why play it on a console if you can play it on a handheld now? Its going to be one of the major reasons people get that game because its going to be amazing to play it when you're on the go. Can you imagine walking around Hyrule in 3D in the palm of your hands?

Another game that I noticed is going to be remade is Star Fox 64 (called Star Fox 64 3D). Just an FYI