1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen is coming off my HP Mini 1116nr?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lady Gaga, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I doubt I will find anyone who can help me here..just because it seems like a very specific issue, but maybe I will get lucky? :grin:

Okay, so over the past few months I have noticed the the screen has become increasingly more loose.

I looked up the problem and it appears that it is actually common for over long periods of time, the screws will become loose and the screen will begin to drift from the hinge.

Now, the screen is almost completely off. I know it was stupid to wait so long.

How much will it cost to get fixed at a computer repair shop? What is your best educated guess? The hinge is not warped. All they need to do is screw in new screws.

Also, how much would it cost to buy the things to do it myself? What size screwdriver/screws do I need?

Here are pictures of the lovely netbook:

http://i38.tinypic.com/veas8j.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/23jhked.jpg

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my....

3. kettleoffish

well, on the plus, parts will be cheap. You're talking a few dollars tops for new screws, but it could be a hell of a job to get it apart so it might take someone a few hours. Could cost you a fair whack in labour. I wouldn't reccomend doing it yourself unless you're pretty confident about these things, you wil probably have to disassemble most of the lower half of the machine to get to the right screws.

4. Mitchell

I have a HP Mini 110 and have never had such problems. I've even upgraded mine - I put 2GB of RAM in it and installed Linux Mint as an Operating System.

Anyway...
    Why not send it in to HP For a repair?

5. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

Because companies like HP rape you for money when they're fixing their products.

I called HP. They said it would cost 200 bucks. I called a local repair shop, they said it would cost 15.

6. Tim

Tim

^ It'd cost us $500 to have Dell replace a keyboard. It'd cost us $10 to get it offline. And it's an easy repair. Sister just doesn't want to risk it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you trust the local business, do it. :slight_smile:

7. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

The thing though, I have to take apart the entire laptop just to screw in some things in the hinge. Pretty much an accessibility fail.

I don't want to risk it. :frowning2: But my brother is a computer technician..so he might be able to do it when he gets back..

8. gattsuru

HP usually recommends P1 and P2 Phillips screwdrivers, a general flathead screwdriver, and something to pry with. Service guide here (PDF warning) should be enough to get anyone reasonably experienced with computer components through a complete tear-down and rebuild. The only tricky part is that, as with most laptops, the ZIF connectors on the keyboard and mouse are fragile -- you must pop the slides on the side of the connector up and let the cable slide out, as simply pulling on the cable can ruin the component.