1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Control key

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Enaithor, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Enaithor

The control key on my computer is extremely erratic, and can cause very annoying problems
    Like if I'm typing, it'll randomly press itself and I'll suddenly be doing loads of things because all of the letters I just type register as if I was pressing control
    So sometimes it'll close things, or search for things, open files, etc. etc.
    I'm on a Dell laptop with Windows Vista

Anyone know how to fix this?

2. fringelunatic

Hmm. Well there could be a crumb or something stuck under the key (or rather either of them, if your laptop has two) that's quite likely with a laptop, as their keys are frequently closer to the base than on desktop keyboards.
    Other than that it could be that you've got a feature called sticky keys turned on. though I can't remember whether it operates on the control key. It turns itself on if you hit a key three times in (close) succession.

3. Enaithor

I don't think it's a crumb to be honest, I get rice stuck under my keys a lot so I have plenty of experience of that haha. Once I had 9 letters all with a ton of rice under, my sentences were such a fail lol
    But yeah the keys don't press as if they have rice or crumbs under...and sometimes when I press them, they don't actually work
    It ain't sticky keys because I just tried to turn it on and it didn't lol

4. speedracer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Boot the computer into the dell diagnostics and there is a keyboard test. Or try booting the computer with a live CD and see if that has the same behavior.

5. Enaithor

right, err, how do i do this?