1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the programmers who will actually get this :)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theJosephDean, Oct 7, 2010.

1. theJosephDean

2. Corny

Corny Guest

well I do get why the JAVA guys wouldn't get it, but I'm not sure I get the first part either. So he is not null terminated, that's why some garbage is following his "order" yeah. But uh well if he is not terminated by something, usually it's length-prefixed. But he is neither. Sooo .. ?

(and what about assembly? c 0 terminates as well for example ..)

3. theJosephDean

Hehe. I'll admit I don't *totally* get the Assembly part as I'm still in Java 1 myself, but since I've seen enough of my boyfriend's assembly language homework, I get enough of the joke to laugh :icon_wink

4. Corny

Corny Guest

uh well and I thought there is some assembler hidden in that "garbage" after coke. :wink:

So what has this to do with assembler now? *confused* Strings in C and many other languages are null-terminated, too ..

5. theJosephDean

Hehe, it might actually be C (or C++ or C#). I just recognised a bit of assembly in there. Point is: it isn't Java. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    from what little bit of assembly language I remember, that snippet doesn't look remotely like any assembly language I've seen, unless it's compiled assembly, in which case you couldn't tell if it was assembly, C, BASIC, or anything else.

And... your boyfriend has a CS curriculum where they are still teaching assembly language? Bravo for that. I assumed that had long ago been given up in favor of higher level, more bloated languages :slight_smile:

7. theJosephDean

Ohhhh no. His teacher is who teaches my honours Java 1 class, and he's an Assembly freak :slight_smile: He prefers students to know what's going on "behind the scenes" before they move on to other languages. Our school as an excellent computer science department. Some of our teachers are top in the nation, and my Java teacher -slash- his assembly teacher used to be one of the head-honchos of IBM back in the day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. NickT

I lol'd

9. x2x2x2x2y2

Uh.......what?????

10. starfish

ROFL.....

Yeah the stuff at the end of the order is just garbage. It could be actual code or data, or what ever. The point is that the string was not terminated so we kept reading past it. I've made that mistake a few times in the past. There are any number of languages you could make this mistake in. Of course Java is not one of those languages

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

LOL

At the school I transferred from (that had a CS major/minor unlike where I am now), it was almost exclusively Java-based.

12. theJosephDean

Our Java-ness just goes to Intro to CSCI 1 and 2. Once you start classes past that, it goes into C# (it was C++ last year, but I think they switched... Data Structures is C#, at least). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: