1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minecraft

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 8bit, Nov 22, 2010.

1. 8bit

http://www.minecraft.net/

Anyone play?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I've been waiting for someone to make a thread about this game. I absolutely love it; the sheer amount of freedom of what you can do is amazing, and the fact that the whole thing was, until recently, coded by one guy in javascript is really damn impressive. I uploaded an album of various things I have made in my save file, including a volcano, a waterfall, and a tower that reaches to the top of my map:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2408

3. SuspiciousPuppy

I want to play but idk how to get an account :frowning2:

4. jazzrawr

Ahhhh I love Minecraft! :grin: It's so much fun. I always end up building huge palaces to live in. XD

5. 8bit

No no no, Minecraft is written in Java, a language the sprouted from C.
    JavaScript on the other hand, is a Web language used to make websites and HTML interactive.
    Unless you're saying someone ported Minecraft to JavaScript
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Also, i like your album
    <:

6. Trystan

8bit you are far too cool. You use ubuntu and you play minecraft and you have an awesome camera. :grin:

7. 8bit

Haha, thanks:lol:.
    Just call me Tim.

8. EveDanger

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Minecraft rocks, but addicting as hell. You always want to finish pillaging one more mine before calling it quits, which always results in you stumbling across another cave filled up with gold and diamonds, and of course you can't just leave them there.

9. Brad

So many people i know play it and i don't quite get the appeal. However i don't really want to start as the last thing i need is something to keep me online even longer.

10. Striker J

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really want to play this game...just need some money haha XP

11. Owen

A friend of mine once said it's like Lego for adults. That's a good summary of its appeal.

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aah, minecraft! The reason the batteries on my laptop are always empty after any train voyage :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The addiction waxes and wanes, though it seems I'm always returning to it. And that was just the free version. The paying version, with netherworld gates and occasional updates sounds even more addicting though. And then to think it's still only the alpha version....

I go through bouts of big construction projects, alternated by big exploration hikes across the map. My main problem seems to be that I dislike turning my precious metals into something else. Leading to houses of solid gold, banged together with stone tools because I'm too cheap to use iron xD

13. Owen

I used to be that way. I would make all of my tools out of stone, and save my iron for swords and armor. But as I stockpiled iron, it kept building up, to the point where I had five full stacks of it. It was in the middle of the excavation for a major project of mine that I decided to switch to iron picks, and it meant many less trips to the crafting bench to make new picks. I stayed stubborn on shovels for some reason, until I accidentally made one out of iron. I decided to use it, then quickly decided I would switch to iron shovels immediately. Now I make everything out of iron, and I save my stone for whatever mega-project I am inspired to start next.

It's not just the faster rate of excavating that influenced me to switch to iron, but its longevity. While exploring caves with my stone tools, I would often break all of my tools (four picks and four shovels) before I was finished exploring, with space left in my inventory for more ore and such. Now, however, my exploration ends when I am out of inventory space, because the iron tools last so much longer. It's been quite nice to not need to replace eight tools after every trip.

14. mydogstewie

This game is seriously my life. I play it all the time

15. Gaetan

I'm kinda like Filip--the addiction comes and goes. Right now, however, I am in the middle of a massive construction project--creating a large dark castle and keep in the still smoldering remains of a large burned forest.

Aftewards...I may venture into the great sea and see what I can build down there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I may suggest some inspiration (spoilered to preserve proper threadflow):

[​IMG]

Because the last time someone tried it, it totally wasn't overrun with zombie-like adversaries :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_FkfrbsEMI&feature=channel_video_title[/YOUTUBE]

This is amazing. I hate the Lady Gaga song, but I actually like this a lot. It's fucking hilarious. Honestly, it shows what you do in the game a lot more than what the official trailer shows you. xD

But Yeah. That's Simon and Lewis of the Yogscast right there. BlueXephos is their youtube account. You should watch their Youtube videos right now because not only are they fucking amazing, but they're fucking hilarious. MINECRAFT <3

18. 8bit

omg thats amazing, probably gonna be stuck in my head now.

19. MisterMason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love this game. <3

20. Ratchet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not played it yet, i have it installed tho,

most of my friend play it, or have doen at some point it does look fun (love the look of the portal mod) but way to addictive (i fell out with one of my friends after took a 100 mile trip to see him and he spent all day on his computer playing it