1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden Sun Anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tim, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim

Was wondering if anyone here has played any of the Golden Sun games?

They just released Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for the DS, meant as a generational sequel to the first 2.

For anyone who wants to know the basic story of the DS version (that you learn in the first few minutes)

Ever since the Golden Sun was released, Alchemy has been present in the world. People both praise and blame the four warriors of Vale (Isaac, Garet, Ivan, and Mia) for unleashing it. However, they all know that the peace won't last, as alchemy is already being used for evil, and thus, they are raising their children to take up the battle when the time comes.

The main character is Matthew, Isaac's son. The other 2 members you get at the start are Karis, Ivan's Daughter, and Tyrell, Garet's son. After a small incident, the 3 are sent off by Isaac and Garet to find a special feather so that Isaac can investigate the Sol Sanctum, where the elemental stars were originally held, and that's where the story goes.

For who the 4th member is:

Later, you meet Kraden, and his 2 apprentices. One of them, Rief, joins you on your quest as your first water adept, and he is Mia's son. Mia's daughter is the other apprentice, but does not join you. 4 Other members join you later on in the game (one of them appears as a baby in the first 2 golden suns, but the other 3 are completely new, like the 4 main characters.), but that would be no fun to spoil all of it, eh? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also: Some people are annoyed there's no mention of Felix or Jenna as the "Warriors of Vale" as they were the other 2 from Vale, not Ivan and Mia. It's a simple explanation: Isaac and Garet were acting under orders from Vale in order to save it. Mia and Ivan joined them. Felix and Jenna however, were going against Vale's orders, and attempting to light the lighthouses, thus, they were not Warriors of Vale, as they were not acting for Vale, whereas Ivan and Mia were. This also explains why the 4 main characters are the children of the game's opinion on the "Warriors of Vale"

Anyway, does anyone here like these titles, and possibly have played, or currently playing the DS version?

#1 Tim, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. Nomad187

I own all three have beaten the first two multiple times and am on the third one <3 Oh and I basically love these games. They are some of the if not the best RPG's on the Gameboy advance

3. Charme

Charme Guest

I looooooove the series. I beat the first and second and am getting the third one for Christmas. I'm beyond excited. I'm kinda bummed that the characters are related to the old ones, though.

I'm amazed that continents formed in the time of just a few decades! I mean srsly!

4. Tim

Tim

Well, the explanation is the Golden Sun event, supposedly.

I honestly preferred the original intention. That the game would take place 80 years after the originals. I wonder why they changed it.

Who the other characters are, for those curious XD (As well as pictures of all 8)

Matthew - Physical Venus Adept:

[​IMG]

Tyrell - Physical Mars Adept:

[​IMG]

Karis - Caster Jupiter Adept:

[​IMG]

Rief - Caster Mercury Adept:

[​IMG]

One is a female werewolf, named Sveta. She can become a werewolf in battle, but loses the ability to use her Djinn, and every turn she's a wolf, a Djinn is set on recovery mode. She's a physical Jupiter adept.

[​IMG]

One is Amiti... another male mercury adept. Everything in the game hints to the fact that he is either Piers or Alex's son. As Piers hasn't been seen since the last game (he's traveling the oceans), most people consider it to be Alex. He is -technically- a caster, but most people use him as a physical attacking mercury adept, like Piers.

[​IMG]

One is Himi, the sister of Takeru. For anyone who read the mind of the lady in GS2 when you come back after killing the serpent with that one guy (XD), she says "If Isaac's descendants are ever in trouble, our Takeru will rush to their aid" It turns out his sister does. XD She's the first caster venus adept.

[​IMG]

And the last one (not obtained in this order :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) is Eoleo. The baby pirate from the second game. Yes, you get him. He's the strongest physical attacker in game, and is a mars adept.

[​IMG]
    From GS2:[​IMG]

#4 Tim, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  5. midwestblues

I'm playing this one and it is fun. It is also, however, a lot easier than the first two. I've hardly used the weapon/armor shops yet because there is a plethora of equipment scattered about in chests and boxes, unlike the first two games (especially the second one) when things were placed more sparingly. Sadly, the bosses have all been easy, nothing reminiscent of good ol' Saturos or Kraken.

I don't like how they changed some of the Psynergy, like how Frost is now Cold Snap and Move is now of the Earth type instead of Fire (I know it doesn't even matter, but if it doesn't matter why'd they change it?). I don't like Insight because it makes things too easy.

I got done with the Zodiac temple yesterday, and half of the puzzles in the rooms were fun, but the other half weren't even puzzles; they were just tasks which involved standing there and using one Psynergy skill that the tablet specifically instructed you to. Why even bother having the room there at that point? Of course, just like the first two, the dialog sequences drag out way too long, but that was to be expected. I hope they end up having a Colloso/Trial Road-type phase in this game (and I hope to god they didn't count the Psynergy Training Field as that). All my -minor-complaints aside, it's still turning out to be a really fun game.

6. Nomad187

It can't be Piers since it is said that Amiti is related to Mia and Piers is not. So it has to be Alex. Well based on current knowledge anyways

7. Tim

Tim

It's actually only hinted that Amiti is related to Mia in some way. That's another one of the reasons most people believe he's Alex's son, which creates Plotholes, because Alex was supposed to have been killed by the Golden Sun. XD

My one VERY big annoyance with this game - The lack of a decent inventory screen. Sure, you can see inventory on the status page, but you can't alter your inventory from that screen.

That, and even though it's on the DS, they kept the inventory limits. -.-

8. Nomad187

^
    It is basically flat out said that he is related to Mia. and it has not been said that Alex died from the Golden Sun.

9. midwestblues

Just got done with the Belinsk Ruins. I really hate to say it, but as beautiful and awesome as that model solar system was, the whole place is an insult to the player's intelligence. Now that I think about it, so was the Kolima Forest and the mountain I climbed after it. I'll admit the Dream Tree level was quite good, but most of this game just seems to be a glammed up and dumbed down version of the first two games. I still like it, though, mostly because the aesthetic experience holds me over until I reach the occasional good area/puzzle.

10. Tim

Tim

Basically =/= Truth. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And it's the same case with Alex. XD We saw what looked like the Golden Sun smush him. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Miss Bubbles

I only got to play the first one but it got dmaged by water and now it won't work. I was close to beating it but thats life haven't played the other two yet.

12. Nomad187

Well it was said by Tret, that he was related to Mia. And with Alex all we saw was him under it as the camera angle changed. we did not see it smoosh him.

13. Tim

Tim

I like Sveta. :3

Someone posted a theory about Alex and Amiti:

That Alex started up the Alchemy Well, but then realized that he was unable to obtain the Insight Glass to start up the Alchemy Forge, being that he wasn't from Ayuthay. Thus, he *cough* impregnated the princess (I assume she was a princess at the time) of Ayuthay, thus, spawning Amiti, so that a water adept from Ayuthay was born to get the insight glass. o_o It fits too.

Anyway: (Spoilers from the end)

I wonder if we'll be able to control a Light or Dark Psynergy user in the next Golden Sun, considering their appearance at the end. (As many of them are grown, it would be possible for one to join the main group again in a sequel)

14. NickT

Getting it for Christmas. I haven't finished either of the GBA ones though @_@ I have a bad habit of not finishing games.

15. Charme

Charme Guest

You're gonna want to get on that then. Haha, the story line is truly great.

16. Tim

Tim

I honestly have to say, I despise the amount of agility on all of the DS characters.

The only one with decent agility is Karis. (Possibly Himi, haven't used her much).

The others all sit between 120-160 base at the level I'm at now. -.-;

I mean seriously, how is a freakin werewolf a slow character?

17. Tim

Tim

Himi has DECENT agility. She matches Sveta with her base class, when Sveta has a Ninja Garb on. XD

Also: Himi has the worst introduction of a character... in ANY game. EVER.

You never hear about her until you get to the city. You talk to her dad, an old friend of your dad. All of the sudden, a relic you found goes bonkers and "chooses" her. She gets all "Wise One" on us, explains everything going on involving the storyline and how to save the world, then joins the party.

The worst part? Her parents don't even have issues with it.

18. maverick

I've never played GS, but it looks fun. I'll have to check it out and maybe give it a go.

19. Jonathan

I love the Golden Sun games and have beaten the first two many times. I am getting the third one for Christmas and I can't wait :grin:

20. Tim

Tim

The last boss... is insanely hard.

MUCH harder than the final bosses of the last 2 games. Which is funny, considering how easy every other fight in this game is.

I still can't beat the final boss :S

It attacks 3 times in 1 turn, can insta kill 3 of your party members with 1 move if you get unlucky, and just does massive damage. Also uses Djinn Blast. I think the closest I got him was about 50% before I got unlucky and he killed Sveta and Himi with his instant kill move, then finished off Amiti and Eoleo with his next 2 attacks -.-

So. Not. Fun.

#20 Tim, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010