1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragon voice software

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by malachite, Dec 8, 2010.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been thinking about getting the Dragon voice recognition software. Has anyone used it? Is it really as accurate as they say?

I'd like some feedback before I buy it

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I brought it and have been using for a couple of years. I works well, much better than other voice recognition programmes I've used before; it gets better the more you use it, as it learns words you use often and how you say them - you can also correct it easily when it mistypes a word.

3. Chandra

I work in a community college and we have Dragon on some of our computers. I haven't used it yet myself, but I know there are a couple of students who have found it very useful. Like any voice-recognition software, I don't think it's flawless, but I know they have been continuously improving it. And we have a fairly old version, so the newer ones might be even better.

Isn't it super expensive for an individual to buy, though? Maybe you could ask around to your local library, schools etc. and see if anyone has it so that you could at least try it out first before deciding if you want to buy it. Although I know it takes several hours of training to get the program used to your voice, so maybe that isn't realistic. Just a suggestion, though.

4. Emberstone

I have not tried dragon, but I have used other voice recognition softwares, and for the time it takes to train the program to your voice, most people, myself included, it seems, would be better off typing, which is always going to be faster and more accurate. but then again, maybe that is becuase if you use words bigger than something a highschooler would say, you often have to manually train the program to recognize them. my friend learned that the hard way when he was doing neuroscience classes, and had to spend most of his time programming entrys in for science and medical terms than he actually did dictating his work.