1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX and Laptop...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ShebbsIsAwesome, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ShebbsIsAwesome

Hello, I was wondering why everytime I turn off my laptop while my brother is playing on XBOX Live he gets really laggy or disconnects. He seems to be getting upset by it, and I want to stop it, thanks.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's probably caused by your router having to disconnect one machine while keeping another online. I don't think you can prevent it except by not using your laptop when he is online or vice versa, because I think it's caused by a combo of Internet Service Provider, the router itself, and the connection strength.

3. ShebbsIsAwesome

It only started happening about a month ago, I've had the laptop for a few months and we've had the service provider and xbox for a few months too, The xbox never used to disconnect with any other laptops that ive had or the desktop computer, so I dont know why it's acting like this now...

4. starfish

What version of Windows are you running. Windows Vista and later have some media sharing functionality. It could be that when you shut down, the XBOX sees the media source disappear and freaks out for a moment.

5. ShebbsIsAwesome

I am running on Windows 7, do you have any suggestions on how I could do to fix it?

6. Artemicion

Possibly turn off all sharing capabilities? Should be somewhere in control panel...but i'm running a Mac ATM and haven't been on my Windows 7 boot side in a while now. I'm sure a more PC savvy user would appear soon, but in the meantime, I say the best bet is somewhere in control panel.

7. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Another idea is to check your IP's on both machines. Ive had devices fighting over a single IP address and have had to set them manually, but if this were the case then your Bro would be disconnected every time or you dissonnected every time, still worth lookin at tho

8. ShebbsIsAwesome

new problem too haha, it spread to all the wi-fi devices in the house.
    I need to fix this bad!