1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Cord Bending

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ShebbsIsAwesome, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ShebbsIsAwesome

I'm pretty sure this thread belongs here..
    My power cord for my laptop seems to be bending in one direction (the little metal part that actually plugs into the computer) and it's coming out really easily now. I'm pretty sure I have to fix it, otherwise the wires inside will cross, heat up, and melt my power cord (like they did with my last laptop) How can I fix it? Or do I need to buy a whole new cord?
    Thanks for any and all help!!

2. Fishken

Fishken Guest

Buy a new one. That's the most safe option

3. Ridiculous

If your laptop is still in its warranty period you can probably get a free replacement from the manufacturer.

4. ShebbsIsAwesome

What info do I have to tell the company?

5. Ridiculous

You should just have to tell them that it is bent and could easily become faulty; pretty much just tell them what you said in this thread.

6. ShebbsIsAwesome

Do I have to dig up some receipt?

7. Ridiculous

If you got some sort of warranty/'insurance' with the laptop (usually good for 1-3 years after purchase, depending on what the original deal was), you should have gotten some sort of paper saying so when you bought it. Usually you can just ring them up and they'll just ask for a number or something that will be on the paper.

8. ShebbsIsAwesome

I'm sure that paper is long gone D:
    powercords are like $80 @ best buy last time I checked, and they only sell the universal ones. :frowning2:

9. Ridiculous

Well you should still be able to buy the cord direct from the manufacturer I would think, and hopefully for a bit cheaper too.

10. starfish

What kind of laptop is it?

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depending on what type of power supply it is, and what type of power connector, you might be able to get just the connector replaced. You'd take it to like a TV repair shop or maybe put a posting on Craigslist looking for someone who could fix it.

I did a repair for a friend whose Macbook power supply had fried the cable where it goes into the little brick. Took me about 45 minutes and involved hacking open the not-designed-to-be-repairable brick and resoldering the wire to the circuit board. What you're describing should be much easier than that and ought not to cost more than about $20 if you could find someone who would do it for you.

Also, depending on where you bought your laptop and how long ago, they may have a record of the warranty they can look up by your phone # or credit card # or even your name :slight_smile: