1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portal 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Zontar, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Zontar

Anyone else excited as I am for Portal 2? :grin:

Just watch out for the spoilers until you beat it. I already got duped into reading a pretty damn big piece of the end. ><

2. Alex

3. Emberstone

I cant even get past one level in the original where you have to time jumps onto a moving platform perfectly since they are carrying you away from where you need to be.

I suck at the original game, but I still love it.

4. Connor22

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. That is all.

5. Ridiculous

I'm not buying it until it comes out and there are some reviews; I'm not paying that much if it's only gonna be as long as Portal 1! I've also got a cynical feeling that Portal was a one-shot-wonder and was only as good as it was because there were no expectations for it to be good. The developers could do what they want with the gameplay and dialogue, and I don't think it will be as well-done when they try and force the same style for the sequel.

6. Emberstone

I got portal for free during a promotion last may *wiggles bum*, and since I can't beat it... yet... I wont get portal 2.

but from what I have seen, portal 2 expands the game in some interesting ways. it really does seem to be a step up imporvement from the first game. the gravity paints look interesting, changing the dynamics a bit, and adding whole new realms of strategy to learn.

7. Totoro

CAN'T WAIT~!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: Though in all honesty I'd rather have Half life 2: ep 3 x_x but portal 2 will do for now. I hope to hear more quirky scripts

8. Thatsit

I'm pretty excited for Portal 2 :grin: I'm probably going to have to rent it or borrow it though, I need to save money.

9. Helen

Helen Guest

*takes a deep breath*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

WE WE WE SO EXCITED. (Of course, I can't buy it until all my exams are over in June, bollocks...)

10. Thatsit

Hahah Yes

11. darkestknight

I preordered it. From Steam. Been waiting for that. Chell looks great in her tank-top and half-robed! :grin:

12. Henrike

I just got done playing through Portal for the first time in a while. Never noticed how short it was. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Got the second preloaded--gonna rock it!

13. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, when I first saw the videos on youtube with the new gels, I was really worried that they were trying too hard to differentiate the game from the original and that it was going to be horrible. Although I didnt particularly like the gels, all my worry was for nothing. They were included wonderfully and added lots of interesting aspects to the challenges, especially with the conversion gel which makes every surface portable.

I LOVED THIS GAME SO MUCH

It was just amazing. When it first started I was just so giddy from all the pure awesomeness I was experiencing. Just brilliant. Wonderful visuals. Wonderful gameplay. Wonderful story and wonderful dialog (maybe spoilers?).

The single player is at least 6 hours. I think it took me 8 or 9 hours, and that included being stuck on a few challenges for what seemed like forever (one particular one had me stumped for 45 minutes until I stupidly realised the answer).

And then add on co op which is around 3 to 6 hours (which is amazing and should be considered as 'part of the game')

This by far is the best game Valve has ever produced and they should be very proud of it. It is just amazing.

14. SlickyPants

So far I am very impressed with it. I only had a limited time to play it yesterday but I'll put in some more hours tonight. Visuals are great, dialog is wonderful and the new gameplay elements (that I've encountered so far) have gave the game a new twist.

15. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I 2nd this. I'm about 3-4 hours in, and it's been even better than Portal 1. The humor is incredibly well done. And beyond that the puzzles are really nice. Nothing too challenging yet. Though, once someone has beat portal 1, I can't imagine it's easy to come up with a challenge when you're already "thinking with portals".

anyways! I figure there has to be at least 1-2 hours left, as there are still things I haven't encountered (like the gels) and then there's co-op (with local split-screen on consoles OMG!!!) and the free PC copy and steam integration on PS3, this game is awesome!

16. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, so if you have not encountered the gels yet then you have at least like 3 to 5 hours to go... depending on how challenging you find the levels.

17. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    after putting in about 3-4 more hours after my last post, I beat the game -so about 7-8 hours total- and wow! The entire ending was great, the puzzles definitely picked up in difficulty. Only actually got stuck on like 3, but solving the others that weren't too hard still felt really rewarding.

game totally lived up to my expectations, next up is the co-op and listening to all the developer commentary (I'm totally into all the behind the scenes stuff :icon_redf )

18. Idonteven

I dont see the appeal...

19. otc877

otc877 Guest

In the original I fell in love with GladOS. In the 2nd one, I can't decide if I love Wheatley, GladOS, Cave Johnson or the default announcer more.

20. Ridiculous

Don't worry, I did buy it and it is INCREDIBLY awesome! I'm always cynical when it comes to sequels, but it seems that Valve knows exactly how to do them great. After HL1 I thought that HL2 would be crap, but it is excellent. Then I thought the episodes would be crap, but they were ALSO excellent, and so is Portal 2.

There are only two things I don't like: lots of loading screens, and the fact that almost none of the random props can be moved around (you could pick up chairs, computer cases, keyboard etc in Portal 1 but very rarely in Portal 2). Both of them kind of break the immersion a little but it's the only downside I can really see in the game.

Some of the scenery is absolutely gorgeous, especially the dark underground cave areas in the old facility. All the wall panels falling off and stuff breaking is eerily beautiful to watch aswell.

And I've still got to play co-op! Can't wait.