1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rift: Planes of Telara

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by silvousplait, May 8, 2011.

1. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

I didn't see a thread for this game yet, and as it's a fairly new game, I thought I'd make one. This is basically a thread to discuss general aspects of the. My character is named (removed), and he's on the (removed) server... level 31 as of right now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If anyone plays, feel free to list your characters, or how you feel about this game.

I'd like to start by saying I like the PvP system in this game quite a bit. It's very similar to WoW, as are many aspects of the game, but imo the maps are much, much better.

#1 silvousplait, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  2. Shevanel

I don't know how easy it is to find others within the game, but you shouldn't be listing your character names if all you need is a server name and character name to find one another, as it is against the rules.

3. Gumtree

I found the game terrible, and have no faith it will pertain any form of longevity.

The few and far between aspects that differentiate it from WoW were limited, primitive and short lived.

4. ArcaneVerse

Never played it as it wouldn't run well on my shitty comp atm but this is generally what I have heard. Though a lot of people left WoW to play RIFT and never came back.

5. Giorria

Giorria Guest

I've been looking at maybe getting Rift, but I'd like to hear from others about how good the game is. I've looked around and most of the time I see WoW vs Rift debates that thats not something that I want to see, I want to know is things like how the game plays and what sort of system can run the game smoothly. I know that some of the old wow developement team are behind this game so thats why there are so many similarities.

6. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

It is against the rules to list any contact information that would allow someone to find you in real life. Therefore, as it is a game and not real life, you could not find out where I live from just my character name. Besides, I was just listing it as a reference to my point of view and not asking to meet others in-game.

"I found the game terrible, and have no faith it will pertain any form of longevity.

The few and far between aspects that differentiate it from WoW were limited, primitive and short lived."

This I find is becoming less true. WoW is losing people every day to this game, and most people I have talked to usually say that the only reason they don't think Rift is good is because they don't feel like leveling characters all over again. Besides, WoW is getting pretty repetitive. =/ Whereas this game has a different storyline which leaves it open to more additions than WoW. Also, I like the fact that the characters are more customizable. This game is a lot less like a cartoon, and despite the fact WoW was meant to be like that, I still like the ability to customize characters more.

#6 silvousplait, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  7. ArcaneVerse

Eh its stupid to compare the two games. Both have pros and cons. Rift is way too new to say whether it has staying power or not, if in a year its still as strong then yeah its got a chance but most games start out strong and then fail big time, though Rift does seem to have a better chance then most other games in the past.

People stick to wow not just because they don't want to level all over again lol, they stay because it offers something that appeals to them. Repetitive, indeed but what game isnt?
    Rift has some new features which are nice, but it takes more then that to keep a game alive.

I love WoW's graphics, most games go for that realistic FF, anime, cliché look but I'm not fussed on it, yeah WoWs graphics aren't spectacular but come on its a very old game considering how fast technology is advancing but it still holds a certain charm.

I'd still like to give rift a go but I doubt it would pull me away from WoW.

8. Eponine

Joey is actually right. As stated in the big red box, "off-site contact details" are not allowed, and that includes in real life and virtual life. So I thought I'd clear that up. Even though you're not asking to meet others in-game, the potential to do so is still there. So I'll go ahead and make some edits, but I'll keep the thread open as it does have some discussion going on.

9. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I heard it was a really boring? That a lot of changes were made after the initial release and that this killed it...
    xD

10. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

Umm... how can you kill something that's only been 'alive' per-se for such a short period of time? If you ever played WoW during Vanilla, it was very similar to Rift. Later on, it developed to become what it is today. Staying power is not determined within the first few months.
    And also, I apologize for the post of off-site information. I was under the assumption that when I read the rules, the meaning of off-site information was more pictures/other accounts on the internet. It seemed the rules more emphasized the fact that EC doesn't want us to post information that allows for the allocation of each other in real-life. While I do respect the fact that virtual game contact could result in sharing of contact details or discovering of personal information, I do not think it poses any threat to the persons/website. But, I respect the fact the forum does have certain rules, and I apologize for not adhering to them more carefully. =/

11. Gumtree

I believe that a games future success is completely determined by its launch, and I'll bet my anything that the 'staying power' of a game can be determined in the first 2-3 weeks.

A few examples? Mortal Online, Darkfall Online, Vanguard, AoC and now, Rift.

Same story for all of them. Unoriginal, primitive and disappointing, but worst of all, glitchy, during launch. Almost of them saw a steady decrease in players within the first month.

A few good launches of games would include Ultima Online in 1997, WoW Vanilla, EVE and EQ 1.

The difference? Each has almost created a genre of game on their own, had SMOOTH launches that didn't require major game changes in order to appease the masses and were tested and designed over much longer periods of time.

What's to come?

There wont ever be a new game in same Genre as WoW, like Rift; that pertains a longevity of growth. The only way anything is going to beat WoW and EvE is to create a new Genre/system. SWKotOR might have a chance, and GW2 because it will be free.

Sorry to get political on you. :grin:

#11 Gumtree, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  12. ArcaneVerse

I agree with this ^ except for the 2-3 weeks part. Some games like Aion had a very promising start but after a few months failed. But your right nothing will come close to being as popular as WoW, not for a few more years anyway or until something ground breaking comes out which Rift is not.

13. theJosephDean

I never played WoW, as I had a huge hatred against MMORPG's and basically any online-based game... but I was invited into the Rift Beta and fell in love with it. I haven't been able to play as much recently as I would have liked (and with my summer internship coming up, I won't be able to play much in the near future either :frowning2: )... However, I do find it fun and entertaining. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I made a very sexy elf mage :grin: :lol:

14. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Rift for PC - Preview - Rift: End Game Raiding Preview - G4tv.com

That review got me to play it... but I leveled to 20 and ditched it...>.> PVP blows, it is worst than WoW. So back to WoW... :frowning2:

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2011 at 04:49 AM ----------

Wow, do you play Eve?? xD :icon_bigg