1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by subaru000, Jun 4, 2011.

1. subaru000

So, I was walking to see what my mom wanted (she called me for something) and I had my laptop, battery and a pair of headphones in tow. I walked and I'm just about sure the crack sound I heard was the screen and it was. Now, half of my screen is dead, and there's a creepy looking black spot about 2 inches wide.

What should I do? Are there any reliable sites where I could visit and maybe order something?

Also:

1. I have a Lenovo G560.
    2. I bought the laptop in Feb., so I'm pretty much on my own regarding the warranty.

Thanks for any help.

2. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure your warranty isn't over? Most warranties are six months to a year, and it hasn't February was 4 months ago.

I'd call and find out.

3. subaru000

Do you think it would cover screen damage? It was my fault, and I know some companies are pretty anal about who did what.

4. SlickyPants

I bought a Thinkpad a while ago and mine came with a 1 year warranty.

When you say it was your fault, what exactly do you mean? Did it fall or did it just crack when you were carrying it?

I can't imagine it would hurt to call them up and see if they can replace it for you. This is also my first notebook and so I have no experience when it comes to replacing broken bits like the screen so I have no idea where to go for that or how much it would cost.

5. subaru000

It occurred when I was carrying it. The earbud for the headphone was in between the keyboard and the screen, (that sounds graphic), and I must have squeezed the exterior of the laptop, which produced the cracking sound that I heard.

And it should come with a yearlong warranty, but I am not sure if it would be wiser to go to Office Depot, a local computer shop, or DIY, so out of each of the three options, I'll have to give them thought.

I'm not good at phone calls, so the pressure of telling them what happened will make me more likely to get it fixed somewhere else (when I get the money of course).

6. starfish

How handy are you with a screw driver? If you are comfortable taking it apart you can generally find screen fairly inexpensively on ebay. A quick search shows they cost about $75.

If not you can check in to some of the laptop repair places in your area. I would expect to pay $75-$100 labor for the replacement.

Depending on the warranty you purchased it may cover it. I know that Lenovo offers accidental damage coverage, so it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. The worst they can do is say no.

7. Hexagon

I'd go into a computer repairs shop. And just ask them to sort everything out.