1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alex89, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Alex89

Anyone interested in games on any platform should know about CoD4 by now, and hopefully has had the chance to play it. I personally play almost every new game that comes on the market, so I thought I'd post my own opinion.

It's absolutely brilliant.

One of the best singleplayer campaigns I've ever played, and a multiplayer I won't be getting bored of anytime soon. The singleplayer has a proper story this time around, so you have a lot more motivation when playing. The settings are varied, and have some truly epic in-game sequences such as a nuclear blast going off while you're in a helicopter, and having to lie still on the ground camouflaged in long grass as about 2 dozen russian troops and tanks walk right your nose (I could see one has his shoelace undone :eek: ). There's nothing much to really criticize it about. The movement and motion of the gun feels a lot better than previous CoD games, having a mix between halo's fluidity and killzone's camera movement.

Graphically, it's flawless, and for once having some of the best visuals ever in a game DOESN'T mean you need to own a PC from the future to run it. It runs much better than Bioshock and Portal, but looks heaps better. You'll be amazed what it can pump out without killing your PC. If you get it on Xbox 360, it runs at 60fps constanly at 1080p, and looks equally good to the PC version. The PS3 version has some framerate hitches though.

So basically, GO AND BUY IT RIGHT NOW and you'll love it. Even if you don't like war games, this may surprise you. For this year it sits right up there with Halo 3, Portal and Bioshock.

2. CorporalPie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sounds really good, definitely a plus that Infinity Ward is back doing CoD again, if there weren't so many other great games coming out in the next month I'd definitely pick it up but after already getting Bioshock, The Orange Box and Halo 3, and Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Army of Two, Crysis, Rock Band and Mario Galaxy on the horizon I just don't see how it would be possible for me to get it. :tears: If its still on my radar and people are still playing it I'll probably pick it up early next year, tho.

One question though, the ranking system seems pretty cool where leveling up you unlock weapons, looks, air strikes etc (correct me if I'm wrong), but if I got it in say February and people have mostly already skyrocketed through the ranks will I be able to stand a chance in MP? I mean will I be running around with a pea shooter while everyone else is dropping air strikes on me? I've just heard horror stories about games like Rainbow Six: Lockdown (it had the same basic idea of lvl and gain weapons etc), where if you didn't get right in at the beginning and jumped into MP you got absolutely crushed. From what I've heard, while the single player is really good, its very short and I just don't want to drop $60 on a game for 5 hrs of single player and having MP here I'm useless and getting constantly pwnd.

#2 CorporalPie, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  3. nisomer

i really want to get this game

4. Alex89

I don't think it'll really make much of a difference when you get it, CorporalPie. I've only played multiplayer on Xbox 360, and the matchmaking in it automatically joins you with people the same or similar rank as you.

I'm not sure how the PC one works though.

And yeah, there's heaps of great games coming out in the second half of this year, but I'd say CoD4 so far is one of the best I've played. My own personal rankings of the games I own and have played from the "most wanted" group are:

1. Halo 3
    2. Call of Duty 4
    3. Bioshock
    4. The Orange Box

My most wanted game right now is Mass Effect by far. Assassin's Creed looks great too, but getting mixed reviews (very repetitive and glitchy. D=).

Oh yeah, and on campaign length: yes it's short. About as short as Halo 3, so it's pretty much the norm with FPS now. However, it's really replayable (I've been through it 3 times now, and preparing for a fourth), and you won't believe how epic those 6-8 hours are. Seriously, so much happens in that time. It's also determined by how long you spend fighting, because in most parts of the game it won't advance until you decide to, so more enemies will keep running in until you move forward up the street or whatever. It's fun just seeing how long you can survive in a certain location, lol.

#4 Alex89, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007