1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TI-89 Titanium

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by roborama, Jun 9, 2011.

1. roborama

I need to buy this calculator for AP Calculus AB next year, but I really cannot afford it. Anybody know where you can get a TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator for a reasonabe price? Thanks a bunch

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you need the Titanium?
    I made it through AP Calc AB last year with the more-than-capable, if not outdated, TI-89+.

3. roborama

stupid teacher requires it...

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Have you considered going to the higher-ups and telling them about this? There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get through AP Calc with something as simple (relatively speaking) as a TI-83 plus. Your teacher requiring it is incredibly unreasonable; there's no reason to make you, as a high schooler, spend that much money on a calculator when a much simpler one will serve you just as well.

5. suninthesky

I agree.. way unreasonable. I thought you couldn't even use the TI-89 on the SAT and ACT, which could really be a pain. I got the nspire, but I didn't even use the new keypad, I used the TI-84 keypad which was way more than enough. TI-83 was totally suitable as well. I agree with the high up thing because not being allowed on standardized tests will be a real hassle. I got my calculator off ebay for a reasonable price.

EDIT: I guess its okay on the SAT, but not the ACT. http://www.tutorfox.com/ti89review.html

6. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I took AB calc this year, and i did not need my TI-89 titanium. In fact, it made things slightly more difficult when my teacher taught things on the calculator. But if your teacher requires it, I bought mine at office depot. It was like $140 I believe.

The best part about that calculator is that you can solve equations like 4x+78x^2=5, and that it gives you a fraction as often as it can, so you don't have to figure it out manually. You'll see...