1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will video games always be toys?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wallrose, Jun 23, 2011.

1. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been thinking about if, and when video games may be taken as a serious medium. Most people see them as just a toy, but a lot of video games can carry really deep themes and messages, and tell stories even more effectively than many films, plays or books. I can think of more than a few examples of games I took more away from than any book I've ever read, or film I've ever seen.

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on this. Could video games ever be taken as a serious, and effective medium for both story telling and entertainment, or will they always be just toys?

#1 wallrose, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Ridiculous

Final Fantasy IX.

I think it's a case of maybe 10 more years; that'll be when there are 40 year olds that grew up with storyline-driven videogames (i.e. not pacman and space invaders); right now that generation and older generally have a 'videogames are timewasters' view I think.

3. ArcaneVerse

They are taken seriously, by those who can appreciate its art, just like with books and movies etc. different people can relate and get more out of one medium then another.

Games still have a long way to go and I believe they have a harder job maintaining a good story and message while providing the standard entertainment which games are made for.

Bioshock 1 had one of the most original plot lines and twists, similar to some great movies, that we need to see more of in gaming.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Video games are a serious medium. I don't know who is telling you video games are just toys, but they are taken as seriously as anything. Not to mention the video game industry is one of the strongest industries. It is virtually recession proof!

Video games are a form of art, and there are a lot of artistic and creative things that go into creating a video game. It is really a mix of many different art forms, and is an art form within it's self.

Look at LA Noire for example. It's created to tell a story and entertain. Video Games have been more like movies as time goes on, with much stronger story lines and they leave you with an attatchment to the characters involved. If you ask me, video games are not just toys, they're on the same level as movies.

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have played either of the games in these screenshots, you know in your heart that you don't even have to argue this case. :icon_bigg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. x2x2x2x2y2

Completely agree.

7. Just Passing

Games can make a lot of money, so they should be taken seriously and as technological advancements are made, they'll become more and more similar to films. Whether or not it's a good thing is debatable, but they probably started off as little more than interactive toys, but have gone on to become an arguably powerful medium in its own right.

But for me, TV series and films are still preferable to me. :slight_smile:

8. NickT

*Twitch* THEY ARE NOT TOYS DAMNIT!

9. SlickyPants

I have never considered them toys. They are just another form of entertainment along with motion pictures, music and literature. They've gotten to the point where a good, solid story can be told and it can be interactive, engaging and entertaining. They are a huge industry in the same scope or possibly larger than the movie and music industries.

Sure games started out as primitive time wasters with no story whatsoever but so did movies. Thomas Edison's Kinetescope was really just a fun little toy to entertain people. It very limited story-telling potential as the films were usually 30 seconds or less in length.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Err well studies have shown that as of 2011, the average gamer age is 37. So yeah, I don't think video games can be called "toys" anymore....though I wouldn't necessarily say my mother playing Bejeweled makes her a gamer but I digress

11. wallrose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ico is actually the game that brought up the thought. I bought it from a friends dad the other day, and it's great. I also have Shadow, so I know what a great game is when I see it.

It's interesting to see everyones thoughts on this. I can agree that for a large part, video games can and are taken seriously as an effective medium for entertainment and story telling. But you won't ever hear people talk about developers in the same way they might talk about authors like Mark Twain, and you won't hear Zelda talked about like To Kill a Mockingbird.
    I had an intersting, if not frustrating conversation/argument with a friend a week or so ago. He thought that Nintendo's presence in the market was negatively affecting video games ability to be considered as a medium on par with literature and film. My opinion was that he was bullshit, and that the video gaming market can pump out games like Mario, and games like La Noir, and still be taken seriously.

12. ArcaneVerse

F*ck To kill a mockingbird. Zelda ocarina of time is fricken epic. =D

To be fair though people arent talking about books like they used to so it makes sense they wouldnt be talking about games the same way.

Oh and i can totally see where your friend is coming from. Nintendo is really in a world of there own when it comes to gaming, almost completely separate from xbox and PS. They have some good ideas and games but alot of it is still very "toy".

13. Harve

Often gimmicky, agreed.

14. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Video games never changed my vision of life. I never thought about a game scenario for a long period of time once i finished it.
    And i don't think game designers ever cared about expressing their feelings.

So yes, to me, they are toys . And i see nothing wrong with spending time with a toy at 37. ;>

I think it's possible to make a subtle video game, with emotions, real work on photography etc. but atm it's just a big industry. People buy them just to spend time, so the industry give us that.

I played ico a bit and i have lots of respect for it, but it's just interesting entertainment for me.

#14 Seags, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  15. 2ugly2bgay2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am personally very into modding whereby I change features in games like Empire Total War and upload the "mods" to be downloaded on fansites and they have gotten a good reception. I am 31 so no they are not toys.

16. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Four words: Metal. Gear. Solid. Series. If there are any games that prove that there are game creators who take games seriously as a medium for sending a message, it's those games.

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Four words.
    Worst Game Series Ever.

Sorry, sad but true. Least according to my own opinion, but after all, each person's opinion is different. I'm just not a fan.

18. Nomad187

I play games for the story and character development for the most part. and the connection like in Tales of Symphonia for instance the church is corrupt and the pope wants all the power. Like it was aid before they started as time wasting toys but they have become so much more. Yea there are obviously still games that aren't all about deep stuff and are more about fun and time wasting but people need to remember that games are as a whole targeted towards everyone. not just teenage gamers or adult gamers of kid gamers but everyone and while one game may not suit adults it may suit kids and vice versa. Just because many games don't take place in our universe or everyone fights with magic and swords doesn't mean they are toys

19. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any JRPG can't be considered a toy. It's like a book. Final Fantasy XIII = best book I ever played.

20. x2x2x2x2y2

It's sad to say, but a lot of people consider video games toys. I know if I was still playing video games when I was 30 or so, my family would be a bit iffy about it. I don't agree with them, but they just don't understand that it's another part of media.