1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes Agreement

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay I know this is an odd post, but I was on this one website that posts ridiculous signs and such that are so hilarious. One was a screencap from the iTunes agreement. Now I thought it'd probably just been a hilarious one made for the site so I went to the iTunes Agreement and read where it was located, under Export Control, and it states this:

"You also agree not to use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons."

I mean really, we're going to use a movie or a music thing as a way of developing such a thing? LOL. I know this thread might not have many posts but really guys, what do you think? Is this not absolutely hysterical?

2. Katelynn

Tha's both hilarious and really scary on the trying to avoid being sued scale of things. you have to admit, there are some people out there that would try & blame a company like Apple for doing something like that. There are those educational podcasts that deal with chemistry & other scientific stuff (usually under iTunes U podcasts) or some of the digital books available on a wide variety of scientific & chemical topics, so probably not outside the realm of possibility that some whack job might try to use the info to build a bomb or something. This is just a company really covering its own ass in an overly litigious society. We all remember the woman who successfully sued McDonald's for her own stupidity at putting a cup of hot coffee in her lap & then spilling it on herself, so Steve Jobs & Apple sound like they're trying to avoid lawsuits. Still a bit funny tho...

3. TheWanderer

sad but soooo true. it these sorts of things that really bother me about our society.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indeed.

5. Raeil

OMG, when I downloaded iTunes two years ago I was bored and decided to read the whole EULA. It was dull, but I found two lines which were hilarious! I guess they've updated the EULA, cause I don't remember the line you posted being there If there wasn't a shiny box on the forum homepage that prohibited it, I'd link to my Facebook note on the topic. Instead, I'll just copy what I found I found hilarious!

Under "Permitted License Usage and Restrictions"

"THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE. "

Keyword: Life Support Machines. Why on Earth would anyone use iTunes software to run a life support machine?

Under "Limitation of Liability"

"TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE BE LIABLE FOR PERSONAL INJURY, OR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE APPLE SOFTWARE OR SERVICES,"

Apparently if I get injured by using iTunes I'm not allowed to sue for it. :frowning2: Wait, how in the world would I injure myself from just using iTunes? :grin:

6. Katelynn

Some dim individuals actually NEED to have stuff like this spelled out to them, otherwise they get it into their heads that something is a good idea. If anyone here has ever watched that show 1,000 Ways To Die, then you know what I mean. Honestly, there is very little that I wouldn't put past some people trying anymore...

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there is already a program called iLife (which is what contains Garage Band, iPhoto, iMovie) so why couldn't it contain iLifeSupport or iCPR or iEMT or iDefib?

8. Ridiculous

I can just see all those would-be weapons manufacturers reading the agreement and saying "Damn, it says we aren't allowed. We'd better stop, guys."

(I do know it's just so Apple can cover their asses, but it's still worded silly)

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As much as anything, it's to discourage *lawyers* from coming up with ridiculous legal theories under which to sue Apple.

I just read of a case, I think in Sweden, where a woman went on a business trip for her employer and was staying in a hotel with some major business presentation the following day. She met some guy in a bar, took him back to her room had sex, and apparently the vibration or something caused a light fixture in the hotel room to fall on her face, bruising her and "causing psychological distress".

She sued her employer arguing that having sex is no different than any other ordinary activity one would do while on a business trip for the employer, and therefore the employer is liable for the fact she had sex and her wild sex caused a ceiling fixture to fall on her face. (It apparently took her a year and a half to find an attorney willing to take the case.)

It's that sort of ridiculousness that makes attorneys write even more ridiculousness into their license agreements.

10. Saikou7

If you're using iTunes to run an air traffic control system, Steve Jobs gets your first-born son.
    Right there in the EULA.

11. Bowie

So, if iTunes stabs me in the eye, I won't be able to sue Apple? Oh, bugger!

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's not forget about the agreement that forced Kyle Braflawski in South Park into becoming part of a human CentiPad. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You have to read that agreement!

13. starfish

14. CharmanderGato

Alabama (a very closed-minded, bigoted town)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I didn't read what anyone else thinks, but i think it's ridiculous. what are you doing to do? Buy a super expensive music device to built a bomb or virus into??? stupidness! but.... there are some sickos out there i guess. who might try it...

15. Colton

That is awesome:slight_smile:

and, ohhhh iTunes. How I love thee<3